2000-11-02 09:19:24

by Sasi Peter

[permalink] [raw]
Subject: 2.2.18pre19

Hi!

Seems like something in USB went wrong from pre15, I get something like
what is in the attachment.

I have tried using HID + mouse, HID BP, disabling event interface,
disabling hot-plug support, disabling preliminary USB fs, disabling
bandwidth allocation, the effect are still the same even is leaving there
only the basic stuff:

#
# USB support
#
CONFIG_USB=y
CONFIG_USB_DEBUG=y
# CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS is not set
# CONFIG_HOTPLUG is not set
# CONFIG_USB_BANDWIDTH is not set
CONFIG_USB_UHCI=y
# CONFIG_USB_OHCI is not set
# CONFIG_USB_PRINTER is not set
# CONFIG_USB_SCANNER is not set
# CONFIG_USB_AUDIO is not set
# CONFIG_USB_ACM is not set
# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL is not set
# CONFIG_USB_IBMCAM is not set
# CONFIG_USB_OV511 is not set
# CONFIG_USB_DC2XX is not set
# CONFIG_USB_MDC800 is not set
# CONFIG_USB_STORAGE is not set
# CONFIG_USB_DABUSB is not set
# CONFIG_USB_PLUSB is not set
# CONFIG_USB_PEGASUS is not set
# CONFIG_USB_RIO500 is not set
# CONFIG_USB_DSBR is not set
# CONFIG_USB_BLUETOOTH is not set
# CONFIG_USB_KAWETH is not set
# CONFIG_USB_HID is not set
# CONFIG_USB_KBD is not set
CONFIG_USB_MOUSE=y
# CONFIG_USB_WACOM is not set
# CONFIG_USB_WMFORCE is not set
# CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBDEV is not set
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_X=1280
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_Y=1024
# CONFIG_INPUT_JOYDEV is not set
# CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV is not set

Any more info, I could send?

Fixing this would be very much appreciated, because this would be my first
2.2 kernel with all ide, raid, usb and nfs patches working properly at the
same time. Maybe even VM beheaves now... ;) (I used to have the
do_try_to_free_page for XXX hang even w/ pre15).

-- SaPE

Peter, Sasi <[email protected]>


2000-11-02 09:26:15

by Sasi Peter

[permalink] [raw]
Subject: Re: 2.2.18pre19

On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, Sasi Peter wrote:

> Seems like something in USB went wrong from pre15, I get something like
> what is in the attachment.

In now.

> I have tried using HID + mouse, HID BP, disabling event interface,
> disabling hot-plug support, disabling preliminary USB fs, disabling
> bandwidth allocation, the effect are still the same even is leaving there
> only the basic stuff:
>
> #
> # USB support
> #
> CONFIG_USB=y
> CONFIG_USB_DEBUG=y
> # CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS is not set
> # CONFIG_HOTPLUG is not set
> # CONFIG_USB_BANDWIDTH is not set
> CONFIG_USB_UHCI=y
> # CONFIG_USB_OHCI is not set
> # CONFIG_USB_PRINTER is not set
> # CONFIG_USB_SCANNER is not set
> # CONFIG_USB_AUDIO is not set
> # CONFIG_USB_ACM is not set
> # CONFIG_USB_SERIAL is not set
> # CONFIG_USB_IBMCAM is not set
> # CONFIG_USB_OV511 is not set
> # CONFIG_USB_DC2XX is not set
> # CONFIG_USB_MDC800 is not set
> # CONFIG_USB_STORAGE is not set
> # CONFIG_USB_DABUSB is not set
> # CONFIG_USB_PLUSB is not set
> # CONFIG_USB_PEGASUS is not set
> # CONFIG_USB_RIO500 is not set
> # CONFIG_USB_DSBR is not set
> # CONFIG_USB_BLUETOOTH is not set
> # CONFIG_USB_KAWETH is not set
> # CONFIG_USB_HID is not set
> # CONFIG_USB_KBD is not set
> CONFIG_USB_MOUSE=y
> # CONFIG_USB_WACOM is not set
> # CONFIG_USB_WMFORCE is not set
> # CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBDEV is not set
> CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y
> CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_X=1280
> CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_Y=1024
> # CONFIG_INPUT_JOYDEV is not set
> # CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV is not set
>
> Any more info, I could send?
>
> Fixing this would be very much appreciated, because this would be my first
> 2.2 kernel with all ide, raid, usb and nfs patches working properly at the
> same time. Maybe even VM beheaves now... ;) (I used to have the
> do_try_to_free_page for XXX hang even w/ pre15).

-- SaPE

Peter, Sasi <[email protected]>


Attachments:
log (18.63 kB)

2000-11-02 21:22:36

by Greg KH

[permalink] [raw]
Subject: Re: 2.2.18pre19

On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 11:26:18AM +0100, Sasi Peter wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Seems like something in USB went wrong from pre15, I get something like
> what is in the attachment.
>
> I have tried using HID + mouse, HID BP, disabling event interface,
> disabling hot-plug support, disabling preliminary USB fs, disabling
> bandwidth allocation, the effect are still the same even is leaving there
> only the basic stuff:

Could you send the result of /proc/interrupts and 'lspci -v'?
Also, have you tried the alternate UHCI controller driver?
Or tried USB as modules, instead of compiled in?

thanks,

greg k-h

--
[email protected](kroah|wirex).com
http://immunix.org/~greg

2000-11-03 00:02:12

by Sasi Peter

[permalink] [raw]
Subject: Re: 2.2.18pre19

On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, Greg KH wrote:

> Could you send the result of /proc/interrupts and 'lspci -v'?
> Also, have you tried the alternate UHCI controller driver?
> Or tried USB as modules, instead of compiled in?

Here you go. I did work w/ the very same hw with pre15.

I have never really knew what the UHCI JE was all about... So it can be
used in place of the original UHCI? I will make a try. (and why JE?)

-- SaPE

Peter, Sasi <[email protected]>


Attachments:
lspci-v (2.22 kB)
procint (455.00 B)
Download all attachments

2000-11-03 00:16:42

by Greg KH

[permalink] [raw]
Subject: Re: 2.2.18pre19

On Fri, Nov 03, 2000 at 02:08:53AM +0100, Sasi Peter wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, Greg KH wrote:
>
> > Could you send the result of /proc/interrupts and 'lspci -v'?
> > Also, have you tried the alternate UHCI controller driver?
> > Or tried USB as modules, instead of compiled in?
>
> Here you go. I did work w/ the very same hw with pre15.

Looks like USB and your sound card is on the same interrupt. Is there
any BIOS settings you can make to move these around?

> I have never really knew what the UHCI JE was all about... So it can be
> used in place of the original UHCI? I will make a try. (and why JE?)

Long story, short answer: 2 different developers working on support for
the same device. Both drivers work better for some people on different
devices. JE is the author's initials (Johannes Erdfelt).

Personally for some devices I have I like one version, for others, I
like the other one. Now if Johannes would ever fix the QUEUE_BULK bug,
I would be back to using only one driver :)

Let me know if moving the IRQs helps out.

greg k-h


--
[email protected](kroah|wirex).com
http://immunix.org/~greg

2000-11-03 00:16:52

by Johannes Erdfelt

[permalink] [raw]
Subject: Re: 2.2.18pre19

On Fri, Nov 03, 2000, Sasi Peter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, Greg KH wrote:
>
> > Could you send the result of /proc/interrupts and 'lspci -v'?
> > Also, have you tried the alternate UHCI controller driver?
> > Or tried USB as modules, instead of compiled in?
>
> Here you go. I did work w/ the very same hw with pre15.
>
> I have never really knew what the UHCI JE was all about... So it can be
> used in place of the original UHCI? I will make a try. (and why JE?)

Yes, it's a drop in replacement. Choose one or the other.

"JE" because it's my initials.

JE

2000-11-03 01:09:02

by Sasi Peter

[permalink] [raw]
Subject: [SUCCESS] Re: 2.2.18pre19

Short answer UHCI JE does work for me, no more strange errors...

The weird thig is that I have used 2.2 USB backports since the begining,
but I have always used the other UHCI, and up till now it used to work for
me, except for now, but now it seems to be ok w/ the JE variant.

Thanks for the help.

by,

SaPE

On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, Greg KH wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 03, 2000 at 02:08:53AM +0100, Sasi Peter wrote:
> > On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, Greg KH wrote:
> >
> > > Could you send the result of /proc/interrupts and 'lspci -v'?
> > > Also, have you tried the alternate UHCI controller driver?
> > > Or tried USB as modules, instead of compiled in?
> >
> > Here you go. I did work w/ the very same hw with pre15.
>
> Looks like USB and your sound card is on the same interrupt. Is there
> any BIOS settings you can make to move these around?
>
> > I have never really knew what the UHCI JE was all about... So it can be
> > used in place of the original UHCI? I will make a try. (and why JE?)
>
> Long story, short answer: 2 different developers working on support for
> the same device. Both drivers work better for some people on different
> devices. JE is the author's initials (Johannes Erdfelt).
>
> Personally for some devices I have I like one version, for others, I
> like the other one. Now if Johannes would ever fix the QUEUE_BULK bug,
> I would be back to using only one driver :)
>
> Let me know if moving the IRQs helps out.
>
> greg k-h
>
>
> --
> [email protected](kroah|wirex).com
> http://immunix.org/~greg
>

On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, Johannes Erdfelt wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 03, 2000, Sasi Peter <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, Greg KH wrote:
> >
> > > Could you send the result of /proc/interrupts and 'lspci -v'?
> > > Also, have you tried the alternate UHCI controller driver?
> > > Or tried USB as modules, instead of compiled in?
> >
> > Here you go. I did work w/ the very same hw with pre15.
> >
> > I have never really knew what the UHCI JE was all about... So it can be
> > used in place of the original UHCI? I will make a try. (and why JE?)
>
> Yes, it's a drop in replacement. Choose one or the other.
>
> "JE" because it's my initials.
>
> JE
>

-- SaPE

Peter, Sasi <[email protected]>