2000-11-02 12:05:13

by Mo McKinlay

[permalink] [raw]
Subject: ESS device "1998"


I recently obtained an HP Omnibook XE2 laptop. It's a reasonably
nicely-specced machine, although (unsuprsingly) the hardware isn't too
well supported with Linux.

I've given up on the internal modem (I'm 90% sure it's some kind of
software modem, and I have an external anyway), but I'm trying to get
some sort of audio to work via the internal sound device.

Here's the output of 'lspci':

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX - 82443BX/ZX Host bridge
(rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX - 82443BX/ZX AGP bridge
(rev 03)
00:07.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 ISA (rev 02)
00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 USB (rev 01)
00:07.3 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 03)
00:0a.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1225 (rev 01)
00:0a.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1225 (rev 01)
00:0d.0 Multimedia audio controller: ESS Technology: Unknown device 1998
00:0d.1 Communication controller: ESS Technology: Unknown device 1999
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Motion, Inc.: Unknown device
0710 (rev a3)
20:00.0 Ethernet controller: Xircom Cardbus Ethernet 10/100 (rev 03)
20:00.1 Serial controller: Xircom Cardbus Ethernet + 56k Modem (rev 03)

I'm currently using 2.2.14 (plus whichever patches RH added for their 6.2
release), and it doesn't seem to be supported. So.. simple question, does
anybody know if this 'card' is supported in a more recent kernel, or
whether there's something in 2.2.14 that works?

[As an aside, from watching Windows boot, it seems to have some sort of
SoundBlaster compatibility, although it seems to lack MPU401 support or
emulation - and any attempts to use the Linux soundblaster stuff seems to
fail miserably :/]

Any hints/clues/etc welcome.

Many thanks,

Mo.

--
Mo McKinlay
[email protected]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
GnuPG/PGP Key: pub 1024D/76A275F9 2000-07-22







2000-11-02 12:44:24

by Martin Dalecki

[permalink] [raw]
Subject: Re: ESS device "1998"

Mo McKinlay wrote:
>
> I recently obtained an HP Omnibook XE2 laptop. It's a reasonably
> nicely-specced machine, although (unsuprsingly) the hardware isn't too
> well supported with Linux.
>
> I've given up on the internal modem (I'm 90% sure it's some kind of
> software modem, and I have an external anyway), but I'm trying to get
> some sort of audio to work via the internal sound device.
>
> Here's the output of 'lspci':

The chip you are talking about is a maestro-3. It's a hybris chip
between a CSXXXX and an Alegro. The OSS sound drivers support it
already.
However there is no free driver for it currently out there.
If you get the current maestro open driver to recognize the chip
at least the mixer will start to work.

>
> 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX - 82443BX/ZX Host bridge
> (rev 03)
> 00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX - 82443BX/ZX AGP bridge
> (rev 03)
> 00:07.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 ISA (rev 02)
> 00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
> 00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 USB (rev 01)
> 00:07.3 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 03)
> 00:0a.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1225 (rev 01)
> 00:0a.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1225 (rev 01)
> 00:0d.0 Multimedia audio controller: ESS Technology: Unknown device 1998
> 00:0d.1 Communication controller: ESS Technology: Unknown device 1999
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Motion, Inc.: Unknown device
> 0710 (rev a3)
> 20:00.0 Ethernet controller: Xircom Cardbus Ethernet 10/100 (rev 03)
> 20:00.1 Serial controller: Xircom Cardbus Ethernet + 56k Modem (rev 03)
>
> I'm currently using 2.2.14 (plus whichever patches RH added for their 6.2
> release), and it doesn't seem to be supported. So.. simple question, does
> anybody know if this 'card' is supported in a more recent kernel, or
> whether there's something in 2.2.14 that works?
>
> [As an aside, from watching Windows boot, it seems to have some sort of
> SoundBlaster compatibility, although it seems to lack MPU401 support or
> emulation - and any attempts to use the Linux soundblaster stuff seems to
> fail miserably :/]
>
> Any hints/clues/etc welcome.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Mo.
>
> --
> Mo McKinlay
> [email protected]
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> GnuPG/PGP Key: pub 1024D/76A275F9 2000-07-22
>
> -
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
> the body of a message to [email protected]
> Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

2000-11-02 12:49:06

by Alan Cox

[permalink] [raw]
Subject: Re: ESS device "1998"

> However there is no free driver for it currently out there.
> If you get the current maestro open driver to recognize the chip
> at least the mixer will start to work.

Zab posted the first one out a couple of days ago.

> > 00:0d.1 Communication controller: ESS Technology: Unknown device 1999

And the modem indeed appears to be the AC97 dumb winmodem on the ESS

2000-11-02 12:49:26

by rct

[permalink] [raw]
Subject: Re: ESS device "1998"

Mo McKinlay wrote:
> 00:0d.0 Multimedia audio controller: ESS Technology: Unknown device 1998
> 00:0d.1 Communication controller: ESS Technology: Unknown device 1999
>
> Any hints/clues/etc welcome.

Welcome to the "wonderful" world of the Maestro 3i. You'll find
the following URL to be of interest...

http://www.zabbo.net/mailman/listinfo/maestro-users

Executive summary: a free driver is in its infancy, and you're
more than welcome to join the debugging effort. If you *must*
have sound capability, go to http://www.opensound.com and get the
OSS driver: that will run you $15 for the base driver, and
another $15 for the ESS Maestro add-on. It works well on my Dell
Latitude CPx. You can try before you buy, and the 2.4.X kernel
support is pretty good: new driver versions lag the release of a
2.4.0-testX kernel by less than a week in most cases.

Good luck!

--
Bob Tracy [email protected]
-----------------------------------------------------------------
"We might not be in hell, but we can see the gates from here."
--Phoenix resident, Summer of 2000

2000-11-02 12:51:25

by Mo McKinlay

[permalink] [raw]
Subject: Re: ESS device "1998"


Today, Martin Dalecki ([email protected]) wrote:

> The chip you are talking about is a maestro-3. It's a hybris chip
> between a CSXXXX and an Alegro. The OSS sound drivers support it
> already.
> However there is no free driver for it currently out there.
> If you get the current maestro open driver to recognize the chip
> at least the mixer will start to work.

Aha - Many thanks! I shall go and experiment, then :)

--
Mo McKinlay
[email protected]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
GnuPG/PGP Key: pub 1024D/76A275F9 2000-07-22






2000-11-02 15:44:27

by Zach Brown

[permalink] [raw]
Subject: Maestro3/Allegro: (was ESS device "1998")

On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 12:03:41PM +0000, Mo McKinlay wrote:

> I recently obtained an HP Omnibook XE2 laptop. It's a reasonably

As people have mentioned, there is an alpha free driver near
http://www.zabbo.net/maestro3/. Its not quite up to par yet.

maybe the web page should talk a bit more about the chip familiy. The
maestro3 has a lot of pieces in common with the maestro2, except for
the part of the chip that did pcm manipulation. the m3 only has a dsp
where the m2 had specific silicon for doing pcm work. the allegro
is a "slimmed down" maestro3, and neither have anything to do with
cirrus/crystal CSxxxx parts as far as I know :)

I expect you'll have the 'slow down' problem on the Xe2, we have the
clocking messed up on some implementations (those that don't clock the
thing at 49mhz, as god intended? :))

> I've given up on the internal modem (I'm 90% sure it's some kind of

*nod* Its the usual mc97 codec setup that leaves the hard work for the
processor. I'm sure one can play around with the dsp on it as well,
but we don't have specs on the dsp's internals.

--
zach

2000-11-05 20:20:36

by Pavel Machek

[permalink] [raw]
Subject: Re: Maestro3/Allegro: (was ESS device "1998")

Hi!

> *nod* Its the usual mc97 codec setup that leaves the hard work for the
> processor. I'm sure one can play around with the dsp on it as well,
> but we don't have specs on the dsp's internals.

And if we had dsp specs, it would not help us. There's no freely
available v.34 stack, and v.31bis (14k4, I hope I have it right) is
free but needs port from multithreaded IRIX code.
Pavel
--
I'm [email protected]. "In my country we have almost anarchy and I don't care."
Panos Katsaloulis describing me w.r.t. patents at [email protected]