2000-11-07 21:07:29

by Linus Torvalds

Subject: test11-pre1

Mostly driver updates.

With a few notable exceptions: two rather subtle MM race conditions that
happened with SMP and highmem respectively. And the FXCSR and file locking
that was already discussed on the list.

Linus

-----

- pre1:
- me: make PCMCIA work even in the absense of PCI irq's
- me: add irq mapping capabilities for Cyrix southbridges
- me: make IBMMCA compile right as a module
- me: uhhuh. Major atomic-PTE SMP race boo-boo. Fixed.
- Andrea Arkangeli: don't allow people to set security-conscious
bits in mxcsr through ptrace SETFPXREGS.
- J?rgen Fischer: aha152x update
- Andrew Morton, Trond Myklebust: file locking fixes
- me: TLB invalidate race with highmem
- Paul Fulghum: synclink/n_hdlc driver updates
- David Miller: export sysctl_jiffies, and have the proper no-sysctl
version handy
- Neil Brown: RAID driver deadlock and nsfd read access to
execute-only files fix
- Keith Owens: clean up module information passing, remove
"get_module_symbol()".
- Jeff Garzik: network (and other) driver fixes and cleanups
- Andrea Arkangeli: scheduler cleanup.
- Ching-Ling Li: fix ALi sound driver memory leak
- Anton Altaparmakov: upcase fix for NTFS
- Thomas Woller: CS4281 audio update

2000-11-07 21:27:12

by bert hubert

Subject: congrats! Re: test11-pre1

On Tue, Nov 07, 2000 at 01:06:27PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Mostly driver updates.
>
> With a few notable exceptions: two rather subtle MM race conditions that
> happened with SMP and highmem respectively. And the FXCSR and file locking
> that was already discussed on the list.

Shouldn't you be having a party right now? Anyhow, congratulations so far
with the IPO, also to hpa & cow-orkers. I hope the stock still does as well
after 6 months :-)

Regards,

bert hubert

--
PowerDNS Versatile DNS Services
Trilab The Technology People

2000-11-08 11:44:25

by David Woodhouse

Subject: Re: test11-pre1

[email protected] said:
> - Keith Owens: clean up module information passing, remove
> "get_module_symbol()".

Please don't do this in one go. Flag days are bad.

1. Add the inter_module_xxx stuff.
2. Let it propagate into 2.2. get_module_symbol() is actually
broken there, although I'd fixed it in 2.4.
3. Let the existing users convert.
4. _Then_ remove get_module_symbol().

--
dwmw2

2000-11-08 17:42:31

by Tom Rini

On Tue, Nov 07, 2000 at 01:06:27PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Mostly driver updates.
>
> With a few notable exceptions: two rather subtle MM race conditions that
> happened with SMP and highmem respectively. And the FXCSR and file locking
> that was already discussed on the list.

I've once again attached this very small patch for !CONFIG_INET. Summary:
This is a very minor patch for fs/nls/Config.in, which Petr Vandrovec came up
with. The problem is that if CONFIG_INET is n, CONFIG_SMB_FS is never set
so fs/nls/Config.in assumes that the user wants to select some NLS options.
This fixes it and works on config/menuconfig/xconfig. It's been ok'ed by
the SMB maintainer, so could this please go in?

This is still vs 2.4.10-test8 or so, but the file hasn't changed any, nor has
the problem, so...

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/