2005-03-12 16:39:41

by Mikhail Ramendik

Subject: Proposal: "Latest Base Kernel" on kernel.org

Hello,

The "Latest Stable Kernel" on the main page of http://www.kernel.org is 2.6.11.2 and
this is of course right.

But people who want to apply an -rc patch, or some other patchsets (e.g. -ck)
want 2.6.11. They can currently get it only by browsing directories.

Perhaps, to enable easier usage of such patchsets, a "latest Base kernel link"
should be added to the kernel.org main page? This would be the latest three
point release. Of course it should be below "stable", as "stable" is the
default choice.

--
Yours, Mikhail Ramendik

2005-03-15 22:52:43

by Jesper Juhl

Subject: Re: Proposal: "Latest Base Kernel" on kernel.org

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005, Mikhail Ramendik wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The "Latest Stable Kernel" on the main page of http://www.kernel.org is 2.6.11.2 and
> this is of course right.
>
> But people who want to apply an -rc patch, or some other patchsets (e.g. -ck)
> want 2.6.11. They can currently get it only by browsing directories.
>
> Perhaps, to enable easier usage of such patchsets, a "latest Base kernel link"
> should be added to the kernel.org main page? This would be the latest three
> point release. Of course it should be below "stable", as "stable" is the
> default choice.

I agree with you. Having the base kernel up there would be nice. Also it
seems that the -bk snapshots against the base are no longer easily
retrievable from the kernel.org frontpage any more - personally I miss
those.

--
Jesper Juhl