2000-11-08 20:15:13

by Frank Davis

Subject: Pentium IV-summary

Hello,

I think I have summarized the discussion for clarity:

1. rep nop can used with all x86 boxes, unless a valid example can be found where it doesn't work. Athlon works with the rep nop.

2. There's a bug in get_model_name(),
cpuid(0x80000001, &dummy, &dummy, &dummy, &(c->x86_capability));

that overwrites the capability state. It will be fixed in 2.2.18 by Dave Jones. Should we also look at Peter Anvin's fix for the problem that Linus mentioned? What are the other features of the Pentium IV should be included in the kernel pending the capability state fix?

3. 2.4.x may support processor speeds up to 100GHz, as well as Pentium IV. Linus will have a Pentium IV available soon, but can someone test the kernel with a Pentium IV sooner?

Regards,
Frank

2000-11-08 22:42:57

by Alan

Subject: Re: Pentium IV-summary##

> that overwrites the capability state. It will be fixed in 2.2.18 by Dave Jones. Should we also look at Peter Anvin's fix for the problem that Linus mentioned? What are the other features of the Pentium IV should be included in the kernel pending the capability state fix?

I'll send Linus the 2.2.18pre equivalent fix

Alan