2000-11-09 19:47:45

by Ingo Rohloff

Subject: Problems with NFS in 2.4test10

Hi,

First a description of my machine:
I use a Dual Celeron System with glibc-2.1.3 and
linux-2.4test10 .
For information on peripherial devices I give the output of /proc/pci

PCI devices found:
Bus 0, device 0, function 0:
Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX - 82443BX/ZX Host bridge (rev 2).
Master Capable. Latency=64.
Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe0000000 [0xe3ffffff].
Bus 0, device 1, function 0:
PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX - 82443BX/ZX AGP bridge (rev 2).
Master Capable. Latency=64. Min Gnt=128.
Bus 0, device 7, function 0:
ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 ISA (rev 2).
Bus 0, device 7, function 1:
IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 IDE (rev 1).
Master Capable. Latency=64.
I/O at 0xf000 [0xf00f].
Bus 0, device 7, function 2:
USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 USB (rev 1).
IRQ 19.
Master Capable. Latency=64.
I/O at 0xe000 [0xe01f].
Bus 0, device 7, function 3:
Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 2).
Bus 0, device 8, function 0:
Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8029(AS) (rev 0).
IRQ 16.
I/O at 0xe400 [0xe41f].
Bus 0, device 11, function 0:
VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. 86c764/765 [Trio32/64/64V+] (rev 0).
Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe5000000 [0xe57fffff].

I have another computer (a K6) which is used as NFS server
(running Universal NFS Server 2.2beta41 under glibc-2.0.7 and
linux-2.2.16 )

I try to Encode WAV files to MP3s, which are both hosted
on the K6. The files are located on a ReiserFS partition,
which is mounted via NFS from the Dual Celeron.

My Dual Celeron locks up regularily during this operation.
The encoding process simply stops and the whole computer
locks up. (No pinging possible).

I first suspected that it had something to do with
the Kernel NFS _Server_ which I use on the Dual Celeron,
but since in this case the Dual Celeron acts as client,
this shouldn't be the reason right ?

Any Ideas how to track down this problem (like putting
some printk's in strategically important locations ?)

so long
Ingo

PS: I might be a hardware problem, since dual Celerons
should be impossible... But i do a lot of compiling
on this machine and it never locked up, or threw errors
during compiling. So I suspect it isn't the hardware.

2000-11-11 16:32:39

by Ingo Rohloff

Subject: Re: Problems with NFS in 2.4test10

> Ingo, do you have a BP6? Make sure you have the latest BIOS for your
> motherboard, there have been many BIOS updates for some dual-Celeron
> motherboards.

I have to admit that I'm not sure what kind of dual board I got
(i have to have a closer look).
The reason is that this board is orgiginally for dual Pentium IIs.
I got two Celerons (in S370 format), and use two modified
MSI S370-to-Slot1 adaptor (aehm I hope I got this right)
cards to make the Celerons multiprocessor enabled.

I still think it is an 2.4test10 kernel issue, because
my machine won't crash (as far as I can tell) if I use
2.2.17.

(Am I correct that 2.4test10 is a lot more fine granular threaded
in the kernel than 2.2.17 ?
If this is true I suspect that there is some kind of
race/deadlock situtation in the NFS code...
)

so long
Ingo