2000-11-09 23:31:58

by Michal Jaegermann

Subject: Re: PCI-PCI bridges mess in 2.4.x

On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 11:33:47AM -0500, Wakko Warner wrote:
> > It was posted to lkml, so no link (except if you want to dig through
> > lkml mail archives).
>
> It booted but then it oops'ed before userland I belive. I tried it this
> morning and didn't have much time. It did find the scsi controller (which
> is across the bridge) and the drives attached so it does appear to be
> working.

Looks so far that I am the worst off. If I am trying to boot with
a root on a SCSI device then either a controller is misdetected,
or goes into an infinite "abort/reset" loop, or it does not initialize
properly and disks are not found. This is a non-exclusive, logical,
"or". :-)

Booting to an IDE device makes difference only in that that if I can
boot then SCSI disks will be simply ignored. If somebody is interested
in a collection of dmesg outputs, with DEBUG printks, from such attempts
then I am game. Ivan was getting these pretty consistently. :-)

Michal