2000-11-10 20:22:41

by willy tarreau

Subject: Re: [Fwd: sendmail fails to deliver mail with attachments in /var/spool/mqueue]

Dick, have you tried a simple "strace -f -p <pid>" ?
This often gives enough info.

BTW, there's one version of sendmail that tests the
capability security hole of a previous kernel version
(2.2.15 ?), and refuses to launch if it discovers it.
It may be possible that sendmail does other tests like
this one.

Regards,
Willy

by Igmar Palsenberg

On Fri, 10 Nov 2000, [iso-8859-1] willy tarreau wrote:

> Dick, have you tried a simple "strace -f -p <pid>" ?
> This often gives enough info.
>
> BTW, there's one version of sendmail that tests the
> capability security hole of a previous kernel version
> (2.2.15 ?), and refuses to launch if it discovers it.
> It may be possible that sendmail does other tests like
> this one.

All recent version of sendmail check the kernel if it has the famous 'I
don't drop my root privs entirely' bug. This bug isn't the issue, sendmail
complains loudly when it finds a kernel with that bug, and won't even
start.

I'm testing with a 50 MB file now.. See how it goes :)

> Regards,
> Willy

Igmar