2000-03-23 12:36:52

by Matti Aarnio

Subject: [Semi-OT@Linux-kernel] CHECK your email routing!

[ List FAQ keeper should add this there -- and list welcome messages
should have it too.. ]

Folks,

I am one of people supporting these mailinglists, and acting as
one of assisting postmasters.

Quite often I see things like what this summary report tells:

FAILED:
<smtp cedar-republic.com [email protected] 60000>: ...\
<<- RCPT To:<[email protected]>
->> 550 <[email protected]>... we do not relay

Feeding this address to a page at URL:
http://www.zmailer.org/mxverify.html

Yields information that ONE of their backup MX servers refuses
to send email thru to them. Thus whenever all other servers
fail to be reachable, that one ruins their email connectivity.

Do make sure YOU don't have this very problem!

/Matti Aarnio <[email protected]>