2000-11-10 23:58:18

by Gerald Haese

Subject: USB mouse stops working

Hi, ...

the following problem is not a new one (for me):

I'm using an SMP system. Everything works fine and (absolutely) stable -
exept my USB mouse :-( It's the USB version of the Wacom Graphire tablet. The
mouse works great for some minutes or up to half an hour and it generates a
lot of interrupts during this time ... And now the mouse stops working. No
interrupt is generated. The USB printer does not work any more. Unloading and
reloading of the USB related modules does not help :-( No interrupts are
registered for USB (seen in /proc/interrupts).

I think it's not a problem of the wacom driver only, the USB is compleatly
blocked. In the past I had a lot of SMP related interrupt problems in other
kernel modules (e.g in the hisax). But this problems have gone away during
the last kernel releases. The USB problem is the last one for me in the 2.4
kernel ... :-)

Gerald

2000-11-11 00:40:22

by Greg KH

Subject: Re: USB mouse stops working

On Sat, Nov 11, 2000 at 01:01:20AM +0100, Gerald Haese wrote:
> Hi, ...
>
> the following problem is not a new one (for me):
>
> I'm using an SMP system. Everything works fine and (absolutely) stable -
> exept my USB mouse :-( It's the USB version of the Wacom Graphire tablet. The
> mouse works great for some minutes or up to half an hour and it generates a
> lot of interrupts during this time ... And now the mouse stops working. No
> interrupt is generated. The USB printer does not work any more. Unloading and
> reloading of the USB related modules does not help :-( No interrupts are
> registered for USB (seen in /proc/interrupts).

What is the output of /proc/interrupts? Is USB sharing an interrupt
with anything else?

thanks,

greg k-h

--
greg@(kroah|wirex).com
http://immunix.org/~greg

2000-11-11 10:14:41

by Gerald Haese

Am Samstag, 11. November 2000 01:40 schrieb Greg KH:

>> I'm using an SMP system. Everything works fine and (absolutely) stable -
>> exept my USB mouse :-( It's the USB version of the Wacom Graphire tablet.
>> The mouse works great for some minutes or up to half an hour and it
>> generates a lot of interrupts during this time ... And now the mouse stops
>> working. No interrupt is generated. The USB printer does not work any
>> more. Unloading and reloading of the USB related modules does not help :-(
>> No interrupts are registered for USB (seen in /proc/interrupts).

> What is the output of /proc/interrupts? Is USB sharing an interrupt
> with anything else?

Here it is:

CPU0 CPU1
0: 48988 28737 IO-APIC-edge timer
1: 457 276 IO-APIC-edge keyboard
2: 0 0 XT-PIC cascade
7: 2 0 IO-APIC-edge parport0
8: 0 2 IO-APIC-edge rtc
9: 1085 968 IO-APIC-edge HiSax
13: 0 0 XT-PIC fpu
16: 11 10 IO-APIC-level aic7xxx
18: 14845 14797 IO-APIC-level usb-uhci
19: 2982 3028 IO-APIC-level aic7xxx
NMI: 77639 77638
LOC: 77623 77619
ERR: 1

I have a PCI USB board with a uhci compliant (I hope so) VIA chip.

Gerald

2000-11-12 19:31:40

by Greg KH

On Sat, Nov 11, 2000 at 11:19:47AM +0100, Gerald Haese wrote:
> 18: 14845 14797 IO-APIC-level usb-uhci

Can you try the uhci.o host controller driver, to see if it has the same
problem?

thanks,

greg k-h

--