2000-11-14 11:14:08

by svein-olav.bjerkeset

Subject: VM problem(?) in 2.2.17

Hi

We have a Compaq server running RedHat Linux 6.2 with kernel 2.2.17
Once in a while we get errors like:

Nov 13 09:18:33 www2 kernel: VM: do_try_to_free_pages failed for httpd...
Nov 13 09:18:43 www2 kernel: VM: do_try_to_free_pages failed for mysqld...

The server then hangs and I have to cycle power to get it up and running
again.
Does anyone here know if
1. this is a known problem / bug?
2. there is a patch available ?
3. the problem is described anywhere else ?

Please CC to my e-mail as I am not subscribed to this list.

Regards
Svein Olav Bjerkeset
Systems Eng.
Bravida Norge AS

by Camm Maguire

Subject: Re: VM problem(?) in 2.2.17

Greetings! This is a known bug. Andrea Archangeli has a "VM-global"
patch against some of the 2.2.18-pre which is reported to work.
My understanding is that there is still investigation as to whether
this patch fixes the problem in the best manner. Should not be too
difficult to edit for 2.2.17, but I haven't done this yet. Anyone
know of a VM-global against 2.2.17?

Take care,

[email protected] writes:

> Hi
>
> We have a Compaq server running RedHat Linux 6.2 with kernel 2.2.17
> Once in a while we get errors like:
>
> Nov 13 09:18:33 www2 kernel: VM: do_try_to_free_pages failed for httpd...
> Nov 13 09:18:43 www2 kernel: VM: do_try_to_free_pages failed for mysqld...
>
> The server then hangs and I have to cycle power to get it up and running
> again.
> Does anyone here know if
> 1. this is a known problem / bug?
> 2. there is a patch available ?
> 3. the problem is described anywhere else ?
>
> Please CC to my e-mail as I am not subscribed to this list.
>

> Regards
> Svein Olav Bjerkeset
> Systems Eng.
> Bravida Norge AS
> [email protected]
> -

Camm Maguire [email protected]
"The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens." -- Baha'u'llah