2021-03-22 15:38:05

by Muni Sekhar

Subject: kernel projects for students

Hi all,

What are some good Linux projects in kernel space for final year
computer.science engineering students?
Could someone help and share your ideas on this please.

Sekhar

2021-03-22 21:18:40

by Jeffrey Walton

Subject: Re: kernel projects for students

On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 11:37 AM Muni Sekhar <[email protected]> wrote:

> What are some good Linux projects in kernel space for final year
> computer.science engineering students?
> Could someone help and share your ideas on this please.

Hedging deployed cryptography.

Hedging can be used to keep the state of a machine unique and the
rng's in good working order to minimize/eliminate the risk associated
with low entropy devices and virtual machine resets.

You would hook the network stack and look for the other party's random
secret, like ClientHello.random in SSL/TLS [RFC 5246]. When the data
arrives you add it to the machine's entropy pools.

In addition to SSL/TLS, you also have SSH and IPsec to grab another
party's entropy. I am sure there are others, but SSH, SSL/TLS and
IPsec are the ones I would focus on.

Also see "When Virtual is Harder than Real: Resource Allocation
Challenges in Virtual Machine Based IT Environments,"
http://static.usenix.org/event/hotos05/final_papers/full_papers/garfinkel/garfinkel.pdf
; and "When Good Randomness Goes Bad: Virtual Machine Reset
Vulnerabilities and Hedging Deployed Cryptography,"
http://www.isoc.org/isoc/conferences/ndss/10/pdf/15.pdf .

Jeff