2000-08-10 17:47:48

by Adam Sulmicki

Subject: [ot] machine independent protection from stack-smashing attack (fwd)

Not quite related to kernel development per see, but I though,
nevertheless it would be of interest to many folks here.

--
Adam
http://www.eax.com The Supreme Headquarters of the 32 bit registers

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 18:59:49 +0900
From: Hiroaki Etoh <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Subject: machine independent protection from stack-smashing attack

I have been investigating a machine-independent change to GCC that
would generate code to protect applications from stack-smashing attacks.
The main characteristics are low performance overhead of the protection
code, protecting against different varieties of stack-smashing attacks,
and supporting various processors. A research report is ready on
the web (http://www.trl.ibm.co.jp/projects/security/propolice).

I would like some feedback whether it is worth pursuing getting it
assigned to the FSF for inclusion in GCC.

---
Hiroaki Etoh, Tokyo Research Laboratory, IBM Japan