2000-11-21 16:34:58

by William Stearns

Subject: CC=kgcc incomplete in 2.4.0-test11-ac1

Good day, Alan,
A kernel build with your latest prepatch still seems to use gcc
to compile some of the auxiliary tools:

gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -o scripts/mkdep scripts/mkdep.c
gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer gentbl.c -o gentbl -lm
gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -o scripts/split-include scripts/split-include.c
gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -o conmakehash conmakehash.c
gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -o gen-devlist gen-devlist.c
gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -o tools/build tools/build.c -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.0/include

Do any of the above tools need to use kgcc as well, or is gcc
likely to work just fine?
Cheers,
- Bill

"Nynex. Iroquois for Moron"
-- A well-known Linux kernel hacker.
William Stearns ([email protected]). Mason, Buildkernel, named2hosts,
and ipfwadm2ipchains are at: http://www.pobox.com/~wstearns
LinuxMonth; articles for Linux Enthusiasts! http://www.linuxmonth.com

by Brian Gerst

Subject: Re: CC=kgcc incomplete in 2.4.0-test11-ac1

William Stearns wrote:

> Good day, Alan,
> A kernel build with your latest prepatch still seems to use gcc
> to compile some of the auxiliary tools:
>
> gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -o scripts/mkdep scripts/mkdep.c
> gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer gentbl.c -o gentbl -lm
> gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -o scripts/split-include scripts/split-include.c
> gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -o conmakehash conmakehash.c
> gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -o gen-devlist gen-devlist.c
> gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -o tools/build tools/build.c -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.0/include
>
> Do any of the above tools need to use kgcc as well, or is gcc
> likely to work just fine?
> Cheers,
> - Bill

The userspace tools should be fine with the newer gcc. It is set up
this way so that the userspace tools use the native compiler when
cross-compiling. If you're really paranoid, set HOSTCC=kgcc as well.

--

Brian Gerst