2000-11-22 03:52:29

by Jeff Merkey

Subject: modutils 2.3.20 not backward compatible

Keith,

Was there a reason we removed the -i and -m options from newer modutils
and broke backwards caompatibility? I'm re-writing our module build
scripts for the installer, and I discovered after upgrading to 2.3.20,
that all the build scripts (about 10MB worth) are now busted and I have
been spending most of this evening rewriting them so they work again.

Thanks

Jeff

2000-11-22 04:17:08

by Keith Owens

Subject: Re: modutils 2.3.20 not backward compatible

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000 20:17:47 -0700,
"Jeff V. Merkey" <[email protected]> wrote:
>Was there a reason we removed the -i and -m options from newer modutils
>and broke backwards caompatibility? I'm re-writing our module build
>scripts for the installer, and I discovered after upgrading to 2.3.20,
>that all the build scripts (about 10MB worth) are now busted and I have
>been spending most of this evening rewriting them so they work again.

-i and -m have never been in the base code. -i in depmod is a Redhat
add on, only in their distribution. I have no idea what -m does, apart
from -m in insmod which is supported. Blame the distributors.

2000-11-22 05:47:29

by Jeff Merkey

Keith Owens wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Nov 2000 20:17:47 -0700,
> "Jeff V. Merkey" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Was there a reason we removed the -i and -m options from newer modutils
> >and broke backwards caompatibility? I'm re-writing our module build
> >scripts for the installer, and I discovered after upgrading to 2.3.20,
> >that all the build scripts (about 10MB worth) are now busted and I have
> >been spending most of this evening rewriting them so they work again.
>
> -i and -m have never been in the base code. -i in depmod is a Redhat
> add on, only in their distribution. I have no idea what -m does, apart
> from -m in insmod which is supported. Blame the distributors.

Thanks for clarifying. -i ignores certain dependency failures, and is
very dangerous. -m lets you use a map file. If what you say is
correct, then it was an erstwhile exercise rewriting these scripts,
since they will now take generic parameters.

Jeff

> -

by Igmar Palsenberg

> -i and -m have never been in the base code. -i in depmod is a Redhat
> add on, only in their distribution. I have no idea what -m does, apart
> from -m in insmod which is supported. Blame the distributors.

-m == -F in depmod (RH anyways)

Igmar