2000-11-22 22:27:12

by Miles Lane

Subject: Alan Cox's e-mail address is hosed?

I attempted to reply to a message from Alan
and got the following response.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Undeliverable mail: Re: Linux 2.4.0test11-ac2
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 11:46:54 -0800
From: [email protected]
To: <[email protected]>

Failed to deliver to '[email protected]'
SMTP module(domain lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk) reports:
host lightning.swansea.uk.linux.org says:
550 rejected: administrative prohibition

2000-11-22 22:36:56

by Jes Sorensen

Subject: Re: Alan Cox's e-mail address is hosed?

Miles> I attempted to reply to a message from Alan and got the
Miles> following response.

No it isn't, Alan uses ORBS and you are obviously black listed there
(http://www.orbs.org).

This one seems to come up every now and then, and always turns into a
flamewar. Now it's Alan's choice so if you want to argue over this,
take it somewhere else please.

Who is maintaining the FAQ? this might be a good idea to add to under
the mailing list section.

Jes

2000-11-22 22:37:56

by Rik van Riel

On Thu, 23 Nov 2000, Miles Lane wrote:

> I attempted to reply to a message from Alan
> and got the following response.

> SMTP module(domain lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk) reports:
> host lightning.swansea.uk.linux.org says:
> 550 rejected: administrative prohibition

You're in ORBS. Fix your open relay and get out of ORBS ...

cheers,

Rik
--
Hollywood goes for world dumbination,
Trailer at 11.

http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/

2000-11-22 22:43:49

by Alex Buell

On Thu, 23 Nov 2000, Miles Lane wrote:

> host lightning.swansea.uk.linux.org says:
> 550 rejected: administrative prohibition

I think this one needs to go into the FAQ!

Q: When I send private e-mail to Alan Cox, it bounces. Why?
A: Alan has blocked all incoming e-mail except from a list of addresses
known to be good. You'll need to post to the list to be seen by him.

Cheers,
Alex
--
Run away!

http://www.tahallah.clara.co.uk

2000-11-22 22:54:58

by Alan

> Q: When I send private e-mail to Alan Cox, it bounces. Why?
> A: Alan has blocked all incoming e-mail except from a list of addresses
> known to be good. You'll need to post to the list to be seen by him.

Try

A: Alan like many people filters mail using the MAPS RBL, DUL and ORBS
spam relay lists. See http://www.mail-abuse.org and http://www.orbs.org for
more information

2000-11-22 22:56:58

by Miles Lane

Okay, please explain why ORBS tells me it does *not*
identify my ISP's SMTP server as an open relay?

mail.megapathdsl.net = 216.200.176.7

ORBS says:

Database Check - 216.200.176.7
216.200.176.7 is not in the main automated
open relay database

Thanks,
Miles

2000-11-22 23:10:21

by Miles Lane

Alan Cox wrote:

>> Okay, please explain why ORBS tells me it does *not*
>> identify my ISP's SMTP server as an open relay?
>>
>> mail.megapathdsl.net = 216.200.176.7
>

> Your mail goes out via your isps outgoing feed ns1.megapath.net
> which is in ORBS (216.200.176.4)

Thank you,

I will go pummel my ISP's technical staff into the
pavement until this is fixed.

Cheerio,

Miles

2000-11-22 23:16:32

by Gary E. Miller

Yo Miles!

Well I see 216.200.176.7 in ORBS:

$ chk-rly 216.200.176.7
rbl.maps.vix.com =>
rss.maps.vix.com =>
dul.maps.vix.com =>
relays.orbs.org => 127.0.0.4
relays.orbs.org => untestable - above.net has multiple open relays and has blocked the ORBS tester.
outputs.orbs.org =>

RGDS
GARY
Gary E. Miller Rellim 20340 Empire Ave, Suite E-3, Bend, OR 97701
[email protected] Tel:+1(541)382-8588 Fax: +1(541)382-8676

On Thu, 23 Nov 2000, Miles Lane wrote:

> Okay, please explain why ORBS tells me it does *not*
> identify my ISP's SMTP server as an open relay?
>
> mail.megapathdsl.net = 216.200.176.7

2000-11-23 00:01:06

by Richard Gooch

Jes Sorensen writes:

> Miles> I attempted to reply to a message from Alan and got the
> Miles> following response.
>
> No it isn't, Alan uses ORBS and you are obviously black listed there
> (http://www.orbs.org).
>
> This one seems to come up every now and then, and always turns into a
> flamewar. Now it's Alan's choice so if you want to argue over this,
> take it somewhere else please.
>
> Who is maintaining the FAQ? this might be a good idea to add to
> under the mailing list section.

[Raises hand] Send me a patch. And see section 5.14, which has been
there for some time.

BTW: you never did get around to sending me a patch for why C++ in the
kernel was evil ;-)

Regards,

Richard....
Permanent: [email protected]