2000-11-27 13:00:20

by Uwe Bonnes

Subject: Re: Multi-Chanel ATA, was: Re: ATA-4, ATA-5 TCQ status

Hallo,

the 3Ware Controllers have up to 8 channels. However I think you can
only use one drive per chanel.

Bye

Uwe Bonnes [email protected]

Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt

by Sasi Peter

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, Uwe Bonnes wrote:

> the 3Ware Controllers have up to 8 channels. However I think you can
> only use one drive per chanel.

Hi!

I'm afraid they have only one with intel RISC on board for hardware raid,
which amkes these card rather exensive for me wanting multilple channels,
nota higher quality of service.
It's like I do not want GB Ethernet, I only wanta single card with 4 Fast
Ethernet ports. Just for storage: a single ATA-4/5 host adapter PCI card
with as many channels as possible...

--
SaPE - Peter, Sasi - mailto:[email protected] - http://sape.iq.rulez.org/

2000-11-28 09:08:58

by Uwe Bonnes

Sasi Peter writes:
> On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, Uwe Bonnes wrote:
>
> > the 3Ware Controllers have up to 8 channels. However I think you can
> > only use one drive per chanel.
>
> Hi!
>
> I'm afraid they have only one with intel RISC on board for hardware raid,
> which amkes these card rather exensive for me wanting multilple channels,
> nota higher quality of service.
> It's like I do not want GB Ethernet, I only wanta single card with 4 Fast
> Ethernet ports. Just for storage: a single ATA-4/5 host adapter PCI card
> with as many channels as possible...

Hallo,

I bought the 2 chanel thing for 400 DM (~160$). I guess the 8 chanel
thing is about 1000DM. That's not too much I think. Even single two
chanel PCI adapter is around 100 DM. And as your ideal card propably
isn't produced in big numbers, it will be more expensive per chanel
than the commodity products...

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Uwe Bonnes wrote:

> I bought the 2 channel thing for 400 DM (~160$). I guess the 8 chanel

You can buy one for under $30 with two channels. So even is the 8 channel
one is $200 and not $120 (4x30) I would still prefer this one.