2000-11-27 16:18:11

by Kaustubh Phanse

Subject: Error after make bzImage

Hello!

I am trying to recompile my kernel after adding
some patches... After making the changes, I first run
make dep and then make clean...both run fine. However,
after running make bzImage it gives me the following
errors:

make[2]: *** [ksyms.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/linux-2.2.16/kernel'
make[1]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/linux-2.2.16/kernel'
make: *** [_dir_kernel] Error 2

I was not able to figure out what may be causing this
problem. Can some one please help me out with this
one?

Thank you very much
Kaustubh

http://shopping.yahoo.com/

2000-11-27 16:31:44

by Richard B. Johnson

Subject: Re: Error after make bzImage

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, Kaustubh Phanse wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I am trying to recompile my kernel after adding
> some patches... After making the changes, I first run
> make dep and then make clean...both run fine. However,
> after running make bzImage it gives me the following
> errors:
>
> make[2]: *** [ksyms.o] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/usr/src/linux-2.2.16/kernel'
> make[1]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/usr/src/linux-2.2.16/kernel'
> make: *** [_dir_kernel] Error 2
>
> I was not able to figure out what may be causing this
> problem. Can some one please help me out with this
> one?

Try:
cd /usr/src/linux/whatever
cp .config .. # Save your configuration
make distclean # Get rid of all old junk
cp ../.config . # Restore
make oldconfig
make dep
make bzImage
make modules
...etc

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.4.0 on an i686 machine (799.54 BogoMips).

obtained from the Micro$oft help desk.