2000-10-27 15:33:31

by jpranevich

Subject: Big file support in Linux 2.2

Hello,

For one of our projects here, we've crashed head first into the 2 gig file size
limitation in Linux 2.2 kernels. While I know that this has been solved in
2.3/2.4, has there been any work to backport this feature into a Linux 2.2
kernel? I'm looking for a temporary solution until we can move to Linux 2.4
directly, but obviously not until after it's been "really" released. :)

Yes, I know this is likely to be relatively unstable. (Probably almost as
unstable as running a 2.4-pre kernel in production), but at least it would give
us a start.

Thanks for your help,

Joe

2000-10-27 18:03:14

by Andreas Dilger

Subject: Re: Big file support in Linux 2.2

Joe writes:
> For one of our projects here, we've crashed head first into the 2 gig file
> size limitation in Linux 2.2 kernels. While I know that this has been solved
> in 2.3/2.4, has there been any work to backport this feature into a Linux 2.2
> kernel? I'm looking for a temporary solution until we can move to Linux 2.4
> directly, but obviously not until after it's been "really" released. :)

You can get a 2.2 LFS patch from:
http://www.scyld.com/software/lfs.html

There may be other sources. You also need to have a newer glibc (or recompile
your own) to really support LFS.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger \ "If a man ate a pound of pasta and a pound of antipasto,
\ would they cancel out, leaving him still hungry?"

2000-10-27 18:18:44

by Matti Aarnio

On Fri, Oct 27, 2000 at 12:02:44PM -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> There may be other sources. You also need to have a newer glibc (or recompile
> your own) to really support LFS.

However all software is *not* written to use LFS extended versions
of things. Often using defines of:

-D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64

in the Makefile of said software CFLAGS is enough, but that may
still sometimes not be enough. Specifically if the system will
then use some libraries which are not LFS compatible.

> Cheers, Andreas
> http://www-mddsp.enel.ucalgary.ca/People/adilger/ -- Dogbert

/Matti Aarnio

2000-10-27 21:27:04

by Igmar Palsenberg

> Hello,
>
> For one of our projects here, we've crashed head first into the 2 gig file size
> limitation in Linux 2.2 kernels. While I know that this has been solved in
> 2.3/2.4, has there been any work to backport this feature into a Linux 2.2
> kernel? I'm looking for a temporary solution until we can move to Linux 2.4
> directly, but obviously not until after it's been "really" released. :)
>
> Yes, I know this is likely to be relatively unstable. (Probably almost as
> unstable as running a 2.4-pre kernel in production), but at least it would give
> us a start.

Seek for LFS on Freshmeat. Requires a kernel patch, and a glibc
recompile. I'm still having some problems with it, mainly cp -ar giving
some wonderful weard strace results.

> Thanks for your help,
>
> Joe

Igmar