2000-12-03 15:52:47

by Steven N. Hirsch

Subject: Phantom PS/2 mouse persists..

Alan,

Unfortunately, 2.2.18pre24 is still convinced that I have a PS/2 mouse
attached to my machine.

Steve

2000-12-03 18:58:40

by Alan

Subject: Re: Phantom PS/2 mouse persists..

> Unfortunately, 2.2.18pre24 is still convinced that I have a PS/2 mouse
> attached to my machine.

I've fixed the major case. I can see no definitive answer to the other ghost
PS/2 stuff (except maybe USB interactions). I take it like the others 2.4test
also misreports a PS/2 mouse being present.

Anyway I think its no longer a showstopper for 2.2.18. Someone with an affected
board can piece together the picture

2000-12-03 21:20:38

by Jeff V. Merkey

On Sun, Dec 03, 2000 at 06:27:52PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Unfortunately, 2.2.18pre24 is still convinced that I have a PS/2 mouse
> > attached to my machine.
>
> I've fixed the major case. I can see no definitive answer to the other ghost
> PS/2 stuff (except maybe USB interactions). I take it like the others 2.4test
> also misreports a PS/2 mouse being present.
>
> Anyway I think its no longer a showstopper for 2.2.18. Someone with an affected
> board can piece together the picture

I see it on pre18-23 but pre18-24 seems to be fixed. I need to test with the
anaconda installer, since I an still using a pre18-23 boot kernel for
the install.

Jeff

> -

by Jeff V. Merkey

On Sun, Dec 03, 2000 at 02:45:58PM -0700, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 03, 2000 at 06:27:52PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > Unfortunately, 2.2.18pre24 is still convinced that I have a PS/2 mouse
> > > attached to my machine.
> >
> > I've fixed the major case. I can see no definitive answer to the other ghost
> > PS/2 stuff (except maybe USB interactions). I take it like the others 2.4test
> > also misreports a PS/2 mouse being present.
> >
> > Anyway I think its no longer a showstopper for 2.2.18. Someone with an affected
> > board can piece together the picture
>

> I see it on pre18-23 but pre18-24 seems to be fixed. I need to test with the
> anaconda installer, since I an still using a pre18-23 boot kernel for
> the install.
>
> Jeff

I just tested 2.2.18-24 as a boot kernel with anaconda -- works great --
mouse problem on PS/2 system is nailed. New problem, BTW. With Frame
buffer enabled, a system here with an older S3 video card has some
sickness with the mouse (???). The mouse is a giant 2" x 2" block
of wavy lines.

Jeff

> > -
> > the body of a message to [email protected]
> -

by Steven N. Hirsch

On Sun, 3 Dec 2000, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> > On Sun, Dec 03, 2000 at 06:27:52PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > >
> > > I've fixed the major case. I can see no definitive answer to the other ghost
> > > PS/2 stuff (except maybe USB interactions). I take it like the others 2.4test
> > > also misreports a PS/2 mouse being present.
> > >
> > > Anyway I think its no longer a showstopper for 2.2.18. Someone with an affected
> > > board can piece together the picture

> I just tested 2.2.18-24 as a boot kernel with anaconda -- works great --
> mouse problem on PS/2 system is nailed.

<sigh> I always seem to own the wierd hardware. I agree the mouse
mis-detection isn't a showstopper - just damn annoying.

FWIW, USB isn't compiled into the kernel in question.

Steve

2000-12-04 00:19:34

by Jeff V. Merkey

On Sun, Dec 03, 2000 at 05:42:03PM -0500, Steven N. Hirsch wrote:

> > I just tested 2.2.18-24 as a boot kernel with anaconda -- works great --
> > mouse problem on PS/2 system is nailed.
>
> <sigh> I always seem to own the wierd hardware. I agree the mouse
> mis-detection isn't a showstopper - just damn annoying.
>
> FWIW, USB isn't compiled into the kernel in question.

Yes it is. I am also seeing compile problems. I will post to a new subject
since they are not mouse related, but IPVS related.

Jeff

> Steve

2000-12-04 00:20:35

by Daniel Roesen

On Sun, Dec 03, 2000 at 10:24:19AM -0500, Steven N. Hirsch wrote:
> Unfortunately, 2.2.18pre24 is still convinced that I have a PS/2 mouse
> attached to my machine.

Nod. Which board? I'm seeing the problem with Asus CUWE.

Best regards,
Daniel

2000-12-04 00:28:25

by Jeff V. Merkey

On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 12:49:47AM +0100, Daniel Roesen wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 03, 2000 at 10:24:19AM -0500, Steven N. Hirsch wrote:
> > Unfortunately, 2.2.18pre24 is still convinced that I have a PS/2 mouse
> > attached to my machine.
>
> Nod. Which board? I'm seeing the problem with Asus CUWE.

Number Nine 9FX 772.

Jeff

> Best regards,
> Daniel
> -

by Linux Kernel Developer

> > I just tested 2.2.18-24 as a boot kernel with anaconda -- works great --
> > mouse problem on PS/2 system is nailed.
>
> <sigh> I always seem to own the wierd hardware. I agree the mouse
> mis-detection isn't a showstopper - just damn annoying.
>
> FWIW, USB isn't compiled into the kernel in question.

Definately could be your hardware. I once saw a 486 board (PcChips M571
I think) which would report a PS/2 mouse even though the port didn't even
exist on the motherboard. This problem showed up on all versions of Win9x.
>From what I could tell it appeared as if the BIOS had support for the PS/2
mouse port but the port pins themself had not been saudered onto the board
and for some reason the board alway thaught it had a PS/2 mouse and reported
as so to Windows.

2000-12-04 04:19:38

by Steven N. Hirsch

On Mon, 4 Dec 2000, Daniel Roesen wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 03, 2000 at 10:24:19AM -0500, Steven N. Hirsch wrote:
> > Unfortunately, 2.2.18pre24 is still convinced that I have a PS/2 mouse
> > attached to my machine.
>
> Nod. Which board? I'm seeing the problem with Asus CUWE.

Asus P2B-DS here. Wonder what on earth they're doing differently with the
Aux port?

2000-12-04 04:21:08

by Steven N. Hirsch

On Sun, 3 Dec 2000, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 03, 2000 at 05:42:03PM -0500, Steven N. Hirsch wrote:

> > FWIW, USB isn't compiled into the kernel in question.
>
> Yes it is. I am also seeing compile problems. I will post to a new subject
> since they are not mouse related, but IPVS related.

I was referring to _my_ kernel, which I can assure you does not have USB
compiled in.