2000-12-12 15:53:43

by Jeff Garzik

Subject: Swapping-over-nbd deadlock fixed?

I see in the 2.2.18 release notes that a deadlock, related to swapping
over a network via nbd, was fixed. Is this bug present in 2.4.x-test?
--
Jeff Garzik |
Building 1024 | These are not the J's you're lookin' for.

2000-12-12 16:11:39

by Marcelo Tosatti

Subject: Re: Swapping-over-nbd deadlock fixed?

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> I see in the 2.2.18 release notes that a deadlock, related to swapping
> over a network via nbd, was fixed. Is this bug present in 2.4.x-test?

The bug is not related to swapping via nbd.

The problem happens because the allocation code (kmalloc) which is called
inside the nbd request function can end up trying to sync dirty buffers,
going to back to the nbd request function.

2.4 is safe.

2000-12-12 16:13:39

by Rik van Riel

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> I see in the 2.2.18 release notes that a deadlock, related to
> swapping over a network via nbd, was fixed. Is this bug present
> in 2.4.x-test?

It _should_ be fixed in 2.4 as well. Then again, I don't know
if there are any other deadlocks left .. ;)

regards,

Rik
--
Hollywood goes for world dumbination,