2009-02-28 23:32:03

by Lee Jones

Subject: How to set up and use BlueZ/Bluetooth in Slackware

Hello all,

Here's what I am trying to do. Basically my aim is to use USB based
bluetooth adapters to share an internet connection from one PC to an
old Apple imac (G3). However, I'm not really having much success in
doing so.

First of all let me mention what version of linux distro I'm using.
The computer(s) I am using all run slackware, slamd64 (64-bit version
of slackware) and slackintosh (a PPC version of slackware). From
memory, slackintosh is 12.1; slackware and slamd64 are on 12.2 .

Unfortunatly although slackware already comes with a compiled version
of bluez which appears to be functioning I cannot really find any
information on how to set it all up. All the information to date I've
come across by googling suggests the following;

* Refers to a different distro (e.g. ubuntu) so all the config/setup
details are different.
* The information is 3,4,5 or more years old and out of date.
* "Install KDE". :( .

Ok so you might wonder why I don't just use wireless? Well, the idea
goes like this -- use wireless (which is already functioning on the PC
running slamd64) to get the internet connection (fully working, I'm
using it right now to type this message and email it!) and then use
bluetooth on the old imac G3 with slackintosh to share the PC's
internet connection. Ndiswrapper could never work on the G3 since it's
only for x86, not PPC, and none of my USB wireless adapters work
without ndiswrapper. Besides, on such an old (but usable) machine the
full speed of a wlan (wireless) USB would never be used.

But bluetooth *does* seem to work on the G3, and for that matter -the
64 bit (slamd64) system too! Only snag is .... is how to set it all
up.

One bluetooth adapter (on the 64 bit system) is configured with MAC
address 00:11:67:45:45:45
The other (G3 imac) is configured with MAC address 00:11:67:18:18:18

So far, I can get each adapter to scan one another, and they detect
one another ok. So "hcitool scan" on the system with MAC address
displays 00:11:67:18:18:18; the other 00:11:67:45:45:45 . But that's
as far as I can get!

Now if I try hcitool hci0 up, and try to l2ping one anothers'
bluetooth USB sticks, I always get the same message - "no route to
host". Trying something like "sdptool browse 00:11:67:45:45:45"
displays nothing, I have to hit CTRL-C to stop it.

I understand that both USB bluetooth sticks need to "see" each other
but that's where I cannot find the information. Both of my USB
bluetooth sticks have green LEDs which flash on and off, which (I'm
guessing) means they're looking for one another but can't find one
another.

Can anyone help on this?

ljones

2009-02-28 23:33:43

by Lee Jones

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 11:32 PM, Lee Jones <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Here's what I am trying to do. Basically my aim is to use USB based
> bluetooth adapters to share an internet connection from one PC to an
> old Apple imac (G3). However, I'm not really having much success in
> doing so.
>
> First of all let me mention what version of linux distro I'm using.
> The computer(s) I am using all run slackware, slamd64 (64-bit version
> of slackware) and slackintosh (a PPC version of slackware). From
> memory, slackintosh is 12.1; slackware and slamd64 are on 12.2 .
>
> Unfortunatly although slackware already comes with a compiled version
> of bluez which appears to be functioning I cannot really find any
> information on how to set it all up. All the information to date I've
> come across by googling suggests the following;
>
> * Refers to a different distro (e.g. ubuntu) so all the config/setup
> details are different.
> * The information is 3,4,5 or more years old and out of date.
> * "Install KDE". :( .
>
> Ok so you might wonder why I don't just use wireless? Well, the idea
> goes like this -- use wireless (which is already functioning on the PC
> running slamd64) to get the internet connection (fully working, I'm
> using it right now to type this message and email it!) and then use
> bluetooth on the old imac G3 with slackintosh to share the PC's
> internet connection. Ndiswrapper could never work on the G3 since it's
> only for x86, not PPC, and none of my USB wireless adapters work
> without ndiswrapper. Besides, on such an old (but usable) machine the
> full speed of a wlan (wireless) USB would never be used.
>
> But bluetooth *does* seem to work on the G3, and for that matter -the
> 64 bit (slamd64) system too! Only snag is .... is how to set it all
> up.
>
> One bluetooth adapter (on the 64 bit system) is configured with MAC
> address 00:11:67:45:45:45
> The other (G3 imac) is configured with MAC address 00:11:67:18:18:18
>
> So far, I can get each adapter to scan one another, and they detect
> one another ok. So "hcitool scan" on the system with MAC address
> displays 00:11:67:18:18:18; the other 00:11:67:45:45:45 ?. But that's
> as far as I can get!
>
> Now if I try hcitool hci0 up, and try to ?l2ping one anothers'
> bluetooth USB sticks, I always get the same message - "no route to
> host". Trying something like "sdptool browse 00:11:67:45:45:45"
> displays nothing, I have to hit CTRL-C to stop it.
>
> I understand that both USB bluetooth sticks need to "see" each other
> but that's where I cannot find the information. Both of my USB
> bluetooth sticks have green LEDs which flash on and off, which (I'm
> guessing) means they're looking for one another but can't find one
> another.
>
> Can anyone help on this?
>
> ljones

I should also add that I get exactly the same problems if I replace
the G3 imac with a normal PC laptop, I have tried doing the same thing
by replacing the G3 imac with an IBM T22 laptop, but I get the same
problems.

ljones