2014-01-03 18:24:21

by Andrey Vihrov

Subject: A problem with "rfcomm bind" and wvdial

Hello,

I'm writing to this mailing list because I was told on IRC that it's the
best place to discuss Linux Bluetooth problems, and I want to report
one.

I have a Nokia N70 phone which I use as a modem through Bluetooth. Up
until recently (~half a year ago), my workflow to establish a connection
was to

a) Call "rfcomm bind /dev/rfcomm0 <addr> <channel>" at system start (in
the past I also used /etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf, but that stopped
working at some point)
b) Run wvdial, which will open /dev/rfcomm0 as a modem/serial port

Now, however, when I run wvdial, I get

Cannot open /dev/rfcomm0: Transport endpoint is not connected

I have found empirically that if I use "rfcomm connect" instead of
"rfcomm bind", and then run wvdial, then it works fine. Thus, it would
seem that the connection is not established automatically when an
application opens /dev/rfcomm0.

I have reproduced this on Arch Linux with BlueZ 5.13 and the
linux-bluetooth kernel. I'm also attaching logs of bluetoothd, btmon and
hcidump at the moment when wvdial is run.

Regarding the btmon log, I've observed that wvdial reports the
"Transport endpoint is not connected" error nearly at the same time as
the first

> HCI Event: Command Status (0x0f) plen 4 [hci0] 3.436738
Create Connection (0x01|0x0005) ncmd 1

is printed, and the rest of the log is printed when wvdial has already
exited.

Thanks in advance,

--
Andrey Vihrov <[email protected]>