2022-12-30 19:25:27

by Ivan Hernandez

Subject: BLE MIDI for Roland GO:KEYS keyboard

Hi!
I hope this is the right place to ask, if not, just ignore/redirect.
I'm trying to use a Rolando GO:KEYS keyboard which has bluetooth audio and bluetooth MIDI. The Audio works out of the box. The midi (once bluez 5.66  is compiled with --enable-midi) is discovered and the midi in-out connections appear in alsa but there is no midi_io at all.
I compared the debug output with the one from another Bluetooth MIDI device I have and the missing piece seems to be that the working MIDI device sends this characteristic:

bluetoothd[7988]: profiles/midi/midi.c:handle_characteristic() Supported characteristic: 7772e5db-3868-4112-a1a9-f2669d106bf3

Which triggers the handle_midi_io()

profiles/midi/midi.c:handle_midi_io() MIDI I/O handle: 0x002a

Opposite, the Roland GO:KEYS sends this characteristic

bluetoothd[7263]: profiles/midi/midi.c:handle_characteristic() Unsupported characteristic: 00000318-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb

which leads to a lack of midi_io for the connected device.

I tried connecting to an iPhone and the device does actually works both for input and output via bluetooth midi, but I'm not really familiar with the details of bluetooth.

How can I debug this further to try to fix or to provide information that is actually helpful for the developers?

Thanks
Ivan