2021-01-26 12:00:55

by Russell Coker

Subject: obsolete policy

Below is the list of policy modules which seem to be obsolete.

For future reference I think we should we make it standard procedure to
include the upstream URL for software related to a module in any case that
it's non-obvious. I could have saved at least an hour if there was a list of
upstream URLs to check.

https://tracker.debian.org/news/874147/removed-20070115-17-from-unstable/

aiccu has been removed from Debian because SixXS has been shut down and no
replacement popped up within 3 months.

https://tracker.debian.org/news/1074787/removed-140pre2git141-g6d40dace6358-2-from-unstable/

bcf2 has been removed from Debian because py2-only; RC buggy; orphaned since
~2 years; no upstream release in ~4 years; low popcon

https://www.voip-info.org/callweaver/

callweaver is regarded as dead, and it's also a fork of Asterisk so should
probably be an addition to asterisk.fc if we were to support it.

https://www.unixarena.com/2015/12/compare-redhat-cluster-releases-rhel-7-ha-vs-rhel-6-ha.html/
https://tracker.debian.org/news/758808/removed-318-13-from-unstable/

Red Hat Cluster Suite is obsolete and replaced by Pacemaker in RHEL7.
Therefore the "ccs", "rgmanager", "rhcs", and "ricci" policy is obsolete.

https://tracker.debian.org/news/1020385/removed-025-11-from-experimental/

certmaster never even made it into Debian proper and is obsolete upstream.

certwatch never got into Debian, but I couldn't easily find the upstream
status, might be used on RHEL.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cipe/+bug/124384

cipe is dead upstream.

clockspeed seems to have gone ages ago and is dead upstream, hard to even find
google hits for it.

clogd seems to have gone away.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1241259/clvm-package-in-repo

cmirrord is part of clvm which has gone away.

https://repology.org/project/consoletype/versions
consoletype doesn't seem to be used nowadays.

https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/dcc

dcc seems to have gone away 13 years ago.

https://tracker.debian.org/news/668558/removed-0423debian1-1-from-unstable/

ddcprobe (part of xresprobe) was hugely obsolete 7 years ago.

https://tracker.debian.org/news/1152902/removed-210-2-from-unstable/
http://denyhosts.sourceforge.net/changelog.html

denyhosts was removed from Debian last year and hasn't been maintained
upstream since 2008.

https://tracker.debian.org/news/558416/removed-3102dfsg-13-from-unstable/

dspam was removed from Debian in 2014 because of lack of upstream maintenance.

https://packages.qa.debian.org/h/howl.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-configuration_networking

howl was removed from Debian in 2005 and is described as "historical" in
Wikipedia.

imaze appears to be long obsolete, I couldn't find a reference to it newer
than 2005.

jockey appears obsolete, I can't find references to it that are newer than
2014.

ktalk seems obsolete more than 15 years ago.

https://packages.qa.debian.org/l/lockdev/news/20160107T183954Z.html

lockdev is obsolete and replaced by flock.

https://tracker.debian.org/news/385983/bug531317-removed-packages-from-unstable/

mailscanner was orphaned in 2011.

https://tracker.debian.org/news/932631/removed-153dfsg-1-from-unstable/

mcelog is obsolete and has no kernel support in recent kernels.

http://www.openantivirus.org/projects.php

oav seems dead, last upstream change seems to be 2007.

https://tracker.debian.org/news/1084490/removed-111-10-from-unstable/

polipo orphaned 1.5+ years ago; python2-only; dead upstream; low popcon

https://tracker.debian.org/news/852685/removed-0815-6-from-unstable/

pyicqt removed from debian in 2017 because no upstream, no users

As an aside, the previous changes checked in to git reduced the Debian policy
package size from 3364228 to 3218572. Removing all the above plus a few
others that aren't in Debian (but might be in other distributions) took the
package to 2996804 bytes.

--
My Main Blog http://etbe.coker.com.au/
My Documents Blog http://doc.coker.com.au/

2021-01-26 13:32:09

by Russell Coker

Subject: Re: obsolete policy

On Tuesday, 26 January 2021 10:28:34 PM AEDT Russell Coker wrote:
> For future reference I think we should we make it standard procedure to
> include the upstream URL for software related to a module in any case that
> it's non-obvious. I could have saved at least an hour if there was a list
> of upstream URLs to check.

This was a badly written paragraph.

We should make it mandatory to include the upstream URL in the policy source
so that future maintainers know where to go to find out if it's still
maintained and to find out any other information that may be necessary. For
some things we don't really need it (like Apache and ssh for example), but
even then it wouldn't do any harm and consistency is good when it only costs a
few bytes in the source tree.

Also my previous message wasn't a list of all the modules that might be
removed. There were a bunch that were Red Hat things with an unclear status
and it was easier to just disable them for the Debian build and let someone
else worry about what Red Hat is doing.

--
My Main Blog http://etbe.coker.com.au/
My Documents Blog http://doc.coker.com.au/

2021-02-16 14:40:44

by Chris PeBenito

On 1/26/21 6:28 AM, Russell Coker wrote:
> Below is the list of policy modules which seem to be obsolete.
>
> For future reference I think we should we make it standard procedure to
> include the upstream URL for software related to a module in any case that
> it's non-obvious. I could have saved at least an hour if there was a list of
> upstream URLs to check.

I think it would be useful, but I also wonder how useful it will be over time
since projects move from time to time to different providers, github, gitlab,
bitbucket, etc.

I'd list this as something that should be there but is not required.

--
Chris PeBenito