2008-01-29 18:17:14

by Chuck Lever

Subject: Re: NFS EINVAL on open(... | O_TRUNC) on 2.6.23.9

On Jan 29, 2008, at 12:54 PM, Peter =C5strand wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jan 2008, Chuck Lever wrote:
>
>> I think you mentioned previously that the server is the Debian =20
>> user-space
>> server. You should contact Debian and ask for their help to =20
>> diagnose the
>> problem. (As far as I know there are no user-space server =20
>> developers on this
>> list, but I could be incorrect).
>
> (I've thought I've been advertising unfs3 almost too much :-))
>
> If this problem shows up with unfs3, I can probably take a look at it=
=2E

From one of Gianluca's previous e-mails, the server is:

"I propose to anybody interested to test cfsd or nfs-user-server =20
2.2beta47-23 (from debian etch) on any kernel >=3D 2.6.23."

--
Chuck Lever
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com

2008-01-29 19:45:26

by Gianluca Alberici

Hello,

I confirm that i have encountered this same problem (EINVAL on open=20
(...O | TRUNC) with the following userspace servers:

- nfs-user-server shipped with debian sarge/etch etc...
- cfsd (crypto file system which is an nfs server)

I want to underline again that these userspace servers have been woking=
=20
perfectly until 2.6.21.7 (which is the last 2.6.21)
Since 2.6.22 the problem came out and it is still present into 2.6.24=20
rc7 (last i tested). Conclusion: there must have been something that is
changed in 2.6.22 that caused the problem.

I thought about nfs client because of the only difference between the=20
userspace server and the knfsd was the RPC call_decode() exit status=20
(see sysctl debug traces).

I have also tried unfs3 which, if i remember well, used to give me=20
EINVAL at mount time (!). But i should retest.
Also, i have tried to warn debian mantainers (both nfs-user-server and=20
cfsd) but without success.

Anyway any help is appreciated, and many thanks a lot for the help up t=
o=20
now.

Regards,

Gianluca