2008-01-04 17:15:48

by J. Bruce Fields

Subject: Re: A new NFSv4 server...

On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 10:48:39AM -0500, Rick Macklem wrote:
> Sounds like a server implementor's perspective. From a client implementor's
> point of view, a T-stable file handle is a wonderful thing. I have no idea
> how to correctly implement client side support for the volatile file
> handles allowed in NFSv4. My client doesn't support them.

As long as they persist while you have an open (or a delegation), it
shouldn't be so hard to implement, should it? If a filehandle expires,
then you throw away any cache associated with it, but as long as no
applications hold file descriptors for it, that's not a catastrophe.

But I'm a little confused whether rfc 3530's 4.2.3 gives a way for the
server to express that guarantee.

--b.