2008-01-04 17:28:26

by Rick Macklem

Subject: Re: A new NFSv4 server...

> As long as they persist while you have an open (or a delegation), it
> shouldn't be so hard to implement, should it? If a filehandle expires,
> then you throw away any cache associated with it, but as long as no
> applications hold file descriptors for it, that's not a catastrophe.
>
> But I'm a little confused whether rfc 3530's 4.2.3 gives a way for the
> server to express that guarantee.

Agreed, but I've always assumed the server can return NFS4ERR_FHEXPIRED
at any time. (It's listed as a error for many Ops, such as Read and Write.)
Also, what does a client do after a server reboot. It can't use
Open/Claim_previous for recovery.

Even if there is a "don't expire while Open" guarantee, it's still a pita
for the client to hang onto pathnames for directories and such, so that
they can re-lookup the fh. (And if that re-lookup happens to fail or end
up in a different place?)

rick