2012-10-15 16:52:08

by Lukas Hejtmanek

Subject: nfsv4 monitoring tool

Hello,

is there any NFSv4 monitoring tool, that can be run on NFSv4 server (running
NFSv4.0 + GSS) and that reports statistics per connected client? I would like
to see amount of transfered data for each client, latency of RPC calls, rate
of requests.

nfsstat on server does not distinguish individual clients.
nfswatch does not support NFSv4

I didn't find anything else. Do I need to create the tool by myself or is
there free of paid tool thad does the job?

--
Luk?? Hejtm?nek

2012-10-15 17:43:06

by J. Bruce Fields

Subject: Re: nfsv4 monitoring tool

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 06:38:51PM +0200, Lukas Hejtmanek wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is there any NFSv4 monitoring tool, that can be run on NFSv4 server (running
> NFSv4.0 + GSS) and that reports statistics per connected client? I would like
> to see amount of transfered data for each client, latency of RPC calls, rate
> of requests.
>
> nfsstat on server does not distinguish individual clients.
> nfswatch does not support NFSv4
>
> I didn't find anything else. Do I need to create the tool by myself or is
> there free of paid tool thad does the job?

We don't gather such statistics, unfortunately. I agree that it would
be useful, and would be happy to talk about possible implementations

--b.

2013-04-05 12:48:34

by Lukas Hejtmanek

Hello,

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 01:43:05PM -0400, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> > is there any NFSv4 monitoring tool, that can be run on NFSv4 server (running
> > NFSv4.0 + GSS) and that reports statistics per connected client? I would like
> > to see amount of transfered data for each client, latency of RPC calls, rate
> > of requests.
> >
> > nfsstat on server does not distinguish individual clients.
> > nfswatch does not support NFSv4
> >
> > I didn't find anything else. Do I need to create the tool by myself or is
> > there free of paid tool thad does the job?
>
> We don't gather such statistics, unfortunately. I agree that it would
> be useful, and would be happy to talk about possible implementations

so we decided to implement this using systemtap tool and it works ok. But if
NFS server could provide statistics by itself, it would be far better.

--
Luk?? Hejtm?nek

2013-04-05 13:11:26

by Lukas Hejtmanek

On Fri, Apr 05, 2013 at 08:58:33AM -0400, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> Sure. If you have a detailed description of the statistics that you're
> gathering (and/or the systemtap scripts), that could help make sure we
> capture what you need.

this is what we are collecting:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p88kvh547t5udpv/nfsdacc-fullpath.stp

--