2004-02-23 15:39:58

by James Courtier-Dutton

Subject: [Bluez-devel] Inquiry scans.

I have a Nokia 6310i mobile phone.
It has a bluetooth menu item that says: -
"Search for audio accessories"

If I activate this on the Nokia, it finds the Bluetooth headset.

In Bluez, in hcidump, I would expect to see these requests/responds
between those two devices, but I see nothing.

If bluez never sees the Inquiry scan from the Nokia, how will bluez ever
be able to respond?

Cheers
James

by Stephen Crane

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] Inquiry scans.

The Nokia is probably making its decision on the basis of the
class-of-device field returned by a device inquiry.

I'm not sure if this is visible above the HCI level.

On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 15:39, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> I have a Nokia 6310i mobile phone.
> It has a bluetooth menu item that says: -
> "Search for audio accessories"
>
> If I activate this on the Nokia, it finds the Bluetooth headset.
>
> In Bluez, in hcidump, I would expect to see these requests/responds
> between those two devices, but I see nothing.
>
> If bluez never sees the Inquiry scan from the Nokia, how will bluez ever
> be able to respond?
>
> Cheers
> James

Stephen Crane, Rococo Software Ltd. http://www.rococosoft.com
[email protected] +353-1-6601315 (ext 209)

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi James,

> I have a Nokia 6310i mobile phone.
> It has a bluetooth menu item that says: -
> "Search for audio accessories"
>
> If I activate this on the Nokia, it finds the Bluetooth headset.
>
> In Bluez, in hcidump, I would expect to see these requests/responds
> between those two devices, but I see nothing.

you will never see them, because this is the job of the link manager and
not the HCI layer.

> If bluez never sees the Inquiry scan from the Nokia, how will bluez ever
> be able to respond?

You don't need this information on the host stack side. The Bluetooth
chip itself responds to it.

Regards

Marcel

by Fred Schaettgen

On Monday 23 February 2004 16:39, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> I have a Nokia 6310i mobile phone.
> It has a bluetooth menu item that says: -
> "Search for audio accessories"
>
> If I activate this on the Nokia, it finds the Bluetooth headset.
>
> In Bluez, in hcidump, I would expect to see these requests/responds
> between those two devices, but I see nothing.
>
> If bluez never sees the Inquiry scan from the Nokia, how will bluez ever
> be able to respond?

You can't see inquiry scans with hcidump. Afaik there is no way to find out if
your bluetooth adapter responded to an inquiry from another device.
The nokia probably looks a the device class - which is returned as part of an
inquiry result - of the bluetooth device to find out if it is a
headset/handsfree or not, so it can single out the headsets
without having to use SDP (which is visible in hcidump).
If you set the device class of your computer to 0x700408 for instance, the
phone should recognize your computer as a handsfree. Problem is that most
devices will place a headset icon next to your computers name in the device
list now ;)

greetings
Fred

--