2006-10-24 20:40:46

by Simon Williams

Subject: [Bluez-users] bt3c firmware

Hello everyone.
I'm running Arch Linux if that makes any difference.

I recently bought a 3Com 3CRWB6096 "Bluetooth Wireless PC Card"
(PCMCIA/Cardbus). I've seen many people report that this card works in
Linux using the bt3c driver. However, I've also seen a lot of people
with the same problem as me. It seems that the documentation on this is
somewhat lacking. My only searches for this error return people trying
to resolve it (with no answers) and the bt3c source code for the error.

When I plug the card in, dmesg gives me:

pccard: PCMCIA card inserted into slot 0
pcmcia: registering new device pcmcia0.0
bt3c_interrupt: Call of irq 4 for unknown device
bt3c_open: Firmware request failed
bt3c_interrupt: Call of irq 4 for unknown device
bt3c_open: Firmware request failed
bt3c_interrupt: Call of irq 4 for unknown device

And nothing appears in hciconfig.
As per the little amount of info I found on google, I have obtained the
firmware for this card from 3Com- BT3CPCC.bin.

I have tried putting this file in the following locations:
/etc/bluetooth/firmware
/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware (though I'm using UDEV, as everyone does these
days)
/lib/firmware

But that makes no difference whatsoever.
I have also tried installing the bluez-firmware package, but that only
seems to include BCM2033 and STLC2500 firmware.
It is also worth noting that this package put those files in
/lib/firmware. Before that, none of the above firmware dirs existed.
I have installed every relevant bluetooth package I can get my hands on.

Interestingly this card does not show up in lspci (which I think means
that it is PCMCIA and not CardBus). lspcmcia gives:
Socket 0 Bridge: [yenta_cardbus] (bus ID: 0000:02:00.0)
Socket 0 Device 0: [serial_cs] (bus ID: 0.0)

A serial device? Maybe that makes sense for bluetooth, but does this
mean that I have to use hciattach? Thought surely the firmware issue
needs resolving first.

Thanks in advance for any help
Simon

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] bt3c firmware

Hi,

> I'm running Arch Linux if that makes any difference.
>
> I recently bought a 3Com 3CRWB6096 "Bluetooth Wireless PC Card"
> (PCMCIA/Cardbus). I've seen many people report that this card works in
> Linux using the bt3c driver. However, I've also seen a lot of people
> with the same problem as me. It seems that the documentation on this is
> somewhat lacking. My only searches for this error return people trying
> to resolve it (with no answers) and the bt3c source code for the error.
>
> When I plug the card in, dmesg gives me:
>
> pccard: PCMCIA card inserted into slot 0
> pcmcia: registering new device pcmcia0.0
> bt3c_interrupt: Call of irq 4 for unknown device
> bt3c_open: Firmware request failed
> bt3c_interrupt: Call of irq 4 for unknown device
> bt3c_open: Firmware request failed
> bt3c_interrupt: Call of irq 4 for unknown device
>
> And nothing appears in hciconfig.
> As per the little amount of info I found on google, I have obtained the
> firmware for this card from 3Com- BT3CPCC.bin.
>
> I have tried putting this file in the following locations:
> /etc/bluetooth/firmware
> /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware (though I'm using UDEV, as everyone does these
> days)
> /lib/firmware
>
> But that makes no difference whatsoever.
> I have also tried installing the bluez-firmware package, but that only
> seems to include BCM2033 and STLC2500 firmware.
> It is also worth noting that this package put those files in
> /lib/firmware. Before that, none of the above firmware dirs existed.
> I have installed every relevant bluetooth package I can get my hands on.
>
> Interestingly this card does not show up in lspci (which I think means
> that it is PCMCIA and not CardBus). lspcmcia gives:
> Socket 0 Bridge: [yenta_cardbus] (bus ID: 0000:02:00.0)
> Socket 0 Device 0: [serial_cs] (bus ID: 0.0)
>
> A serial device? Maybe that makes sense for bluetooth, but does this
> mean that I have to use hciattach? Thought surely the firmware issue
> needs resolving first.

you might have the 3.0 version of the card which presents itself as
serial device. It doesn't need any special firmware. Use hciattach to
make it available.

Regards

Marcel