2007-02-09 10:41:04

by Mikael Lindqvist

Subject: [Bluez-users] phone model and link manager version

Hello,

I wonder if there is any correlation between the Link Manager Protocol
(LMP) Subversion and the model of a bluetooth phone. I mean, if I find
out the LMP subversion of a remote device with for example hcitool,
like this:

sudo hcitool info <bdaddr>

Requesting information ...
LMP Version: 1.2 (0x2) LMP Subversion: 0x41c

Can this subversion be used to identify the model of the phone?

If not, can it be used to suggest that the phone is any of a small set
of models?

If firmware updates are being made on the phone, will that affect the
LMP subversion?

What process inside a phone manufacturer company decide that a
Bluetooth chip with a certain LMP subversion ends up in a specific
model? Is it just related to when the phone happened to be produced or
is it somehow related to the model?

Thanks in advance!

-- Mikael

by Peter Stephenson

"Mikael Lindqvist" wrote:
> I wonder if there is any correlation between the Link Manager Protocol
> (LMP) Subversion and the model of a bluetooth phone.

Yes and no, but mostly no. The LMP subversion is that of the link
manager on the Bluetooth chip, not (for example) the phone's GSM
baseband chip---unless Bluetooth is built into the latter, which is
possible but not very common. In either case it's probably not telling
you the sorts of things you want to know about the phone, simply about
the phone manufacturer's procurement policy.

Note that because they're telling you about the Bluetooth chip, the LMP
and HCI subversion numbers are useless without the Bluetooth
manufacturer ID (which is also reported). You can decode these
from http://www.bluetooth.org/assigned-numbers/company_identifiers.php

There will be *some* correlation: an older version is likely to appear
in an older phone, obviously. But even the same model of phone might
have a different version of the firmware, and in some cases even a
completely different Bluetooth chip. There's not even a requirement
that the LMP subversion is monotonically increasing with time.

pws

To access the latest news from CSR copy this link into a web browser: http://www.csr.com/email_sig.php

To get further information regarding CSR, please visit our Investor Relations page at http://ir.csr.com/csr/about/overview