2008-10-15 12:11:54

by Ichigo Bleach

Subject: [Bluez-users] Is "HCI_Read_Rssi" is the only option to get RSSI value from "Non-discoverable" Device?

Dear all,

I am trying to develop bluetooth positioning system. I am at the point of successfully getting the RSSI value using the Inquiry_result_with_rssi with no problem.
However, as the security is concerned, I do not want leave the other Bluetooth device in discoverable mode. Therefore, sending inquiry_result_with_rssi will not work any more due to, in non-discoverable mode, the other Bluetooth will not reply to my inquiry.

My questions are:

1.) Do I have only one option left to get the rssi value that is to use the "HCI_Read_Rssi" with the connected device? If there is any other option, please kindly let me know.

2.) Let say if i know the Bt_address of the other end and they are paired (with no connection), If there is a way, I can ask the rssi value from the other end directly?

Thank you very much in advance,

Newbie

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi,

> As you pointed out, I went back and read the spec and found that it is absolutly true.
>
> My understanding, Read_RSSI will give the result after compare with the golden recieve power range, instead the Inq_result_with_rssi will just give me the real power recieve in dBm.
>
> I think I would be better off go with the inquiry option. However, my next concern is:
>
> 1.) Can the Non-discoverable mode device response to the inquiry_result_with_rssi of the connected device or not-conected but pair device(Known the address)?

No.

Regards

Marcel

by Ichigo Bleach

Thank you Marcel for your reply.

As you pointed out, I went back and read the spec and found that it is absolutly true.

My understanding, Read_RSSI will give the result after compare with the golden recieve power range, instead the Inq_result_with_rssi will just give me the real power recieve in dBm.

I think I would be better off go with the inquiry option. However, my next concern is:

1.) Can the Non-discoverable mode device response to the inquiry_result_with_rssi of the connected device or not-conected but pair device(Known the address)?

Thank you very much for your time.

Best regards,

> From: [email protected]
> To: [email protected]
> Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 17:23:34 +0200
> Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Is "HCI_Read_Rssi" is the only option to get RSSI value from "Non-discoverable" Device?
>
> Hi,
>
>> I am trying to develop bluetooth positioning system. I am at the point of successfully getting the RSSI value using the Inquiry_result_with_rssi with no problem.
>> However, as the security is concerned, I do not want leave the other Bluetooth device in discoverable mode. Therefore, sending inquiry_result_with_rssi will not work any more due to, in non-discoverable mode, the other Bluetooth will not reply to my inquiry.
>
> the RSSI value you get from Inquiry_Result_With_RSSI and from Read_RSSI
> are _not_ the same.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann