2007-05-25 10:28:50

by Cal Peake

Subject: ext4 and creation time

Hi Ted,

I found this had already been brought up in the past but couldn't find if
a definitive decision was made.

Will ext4 include a creation time field?

thanks,
--
Cal Peake

2007-05-25 10:37:34

by Kalpak Shah

Subject: Re: ext4 and creation time

On Fri, 2007-05-25 at 06:13 -0400, Cal Peake wrote:
> Hi Ted,
>
> I found this had already been brought up in the past but couldn't find if
> a definitive decision was made.
>
> Will ext4 include a creation time field?

Yes, the creation time field will be in ext4. It has already been
included in Ted's e2fsprogs tree and will be included in the kernel when
the nanosecond patch is sent upstream.

Thanks,
Kalpak.

> thanks,

2007-05-25 12:19:36

by Cal Peake

On Fri, 25 May 2007, Kalpak Shah wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-05-25 at 06:13 -0400, Cal Peake wrote:
> >
> > Will ext4 include a creation time field?
>
> Yes, the creation time field will be in ext4. It has already been
> included in Ted's e2fsprogs tree and will be included in the kernel when
> the nanosecond patch is sent upstream.

Awesome, thanks!

--
Cal Peake

2007-05-27 16:25:55

by Andreas Dilger

On May 25, 2007 16:11 +0530, Kalpak Shah wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-05-25 at 06:13 -0400, Cal Peake wrote:
> > I found this had already been brought up in the past but couldn't find if
> > a definitive decision was made.
> >
> > Will ext4 include a creation time field?
>
> Yes, the creation time field will be in ext4. It has already been
> included in Ted's e2fsprogs tree and will be included in the kernel when
> the nanosecond patch is sent upstream.

As a caveat, there is not yet any API to access this. One possibility is
to add a virtual extended attribute like user.crtime that returns a
struct timespec or similar.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger