2007-09-03 17:43:58

by Jan Kara

Subject: [RFC] System calls for online defrag

Hello,

I've finally got to writing up some proposal how could look system calls
allowing for online filesystem defragmentation and generally moving file
blocks around for improving performance. Comments are welcome.

Honza

int sys_movedata(int datafd, int spacefd, loff_t from, size_t len)
The call takes blocks used to carry data starting at offset @from of length
@len in @spacefd and places them instead of corresponding blocks in @datafd.
Data is copied from @datafd to newly spliced data blocks. If @spacefd contains
a hole in the specified interval, a hole is created also in @datafd in the
corresponding place. A data block from @spacefd and also replace a hole in
@datafd - zeros are copied to such data block. @from and @len should be
multiples of filesystem block size (otherwise EINVAL is returned). Data blocks
from @datafd in the interval are released, a hole is created in @spacefd. The
call returns either 0 (success) or an error code.
Another possibility would be to just replace data blocks without any copying
of data (that would have to be done by the caller to before calling
sys_movedata()). The problem here is how to avoid data loss if someone writes
to the file after userspace has copied the data and before sys_movedata() is
called.

ssize_t sys_allocate(int fd, int mode, loff_t goal, ssize_t len)
Allocate new space to file @fd at offset defined by file position. Both file
offset and @len should be a multiple of filesystem block size. The whole
interval must not contain any allocated blocks. If the interval extends past
EOF, the file size is changed accordingly. @mode defines a way the filesystem
will search for blocks. @mode is a bitwise OR of the following flags:
ALLOC_FIXED_START - allocation must start at @goal; if not specified, @goal
is just a hint where to start an allocation
ALLOC_FIXED_LEN - allocate exactly space for @len; if not specified, upto
@len bytes may be allocated.
ALLOC_CONTINGUOUS - allocation must be one continguous run of blocks

If the allocation succeeds, number of allocated bytes is returned. Otherwise
an error code is returned.

The following syscall may be also useful - although I'm not completely
convinced this is the right way to go. But on the other hand, disk optimizer
should have a way to find out about free space so that he can decide what and
where is beneficial to move.

int sys_get_free_blocks(const char *fs, loff_t start, loff_t end, int count,
struct alloc_extent *space)

Get a description of free space on a filesystem between @start and @end (in
bytes, should be blocksize aligned). @fs is a path where the filesystem is
mounted (I guess it's better than dev_t, isn't it?). @space is a pointer to an
array of 'struct alloc_extent'. In each struct alloc_extent is stored
description of one extent of free space. Upto @count extents are stored.

struct alloc_extent {
loff_t start;
size_t len;
};
Function returns a number of extents stored. Note that the result of the
function is unreliable as the space can be already allocated by the time system
call returns.

--
Jan Kara <[email protected]>
SuSE CR Labs

2007-09-04 18:01:53

by Andreas Dilger

Subject: Re: [RFC] System calls for online defrag

On Sep 03, 2007 20:03 +0200, Jan Kara wrote:
> I've finally got to writing up some proposal how could look system calls
> allowing for online filesystem defragmentation and generally moving file
> blocks around for improving performance. Comments are welcome.
>
> int sys_movedata(int datafd, int spacefd, loff_t from, size_t len)
> The call takes blocks used to carry data starting at offset @from of length
> @len in @spacefd and places them instead of corresponding blocks in @datafd.

Calling these "@spacefd" and "@datafd" is a bit confusing. How about "@srcfd"
and "@tgtfd" instead? For defragmentation, are you planning to have @datafd
be the "real" inode and "@spacefd" be the temporary inode with defragged data,
or the reverse? It isn't really clear.

> Data is copied from @datafd to newly spliced data blocks. If @spacefd contains
> a hole in the specified interval, a hole is created also in @datafd in the
> corresponding place. A data block from @spacefd and also replace a hole in
> @datafd - zeros are copied to such data block. @from and @len should be
> multiples of filesystem block size (otherwise EINVAL is returned). Data blocks
> from @datafd in the interval are released, a hole is created in @spacefd.

This is mostly clear except the last sentence. I would think that the data
blocks in @datafd are kept, getting a copy of the data, while those in
@spacefd are released?

> Another possibility would be to just replace data blocks without any copying
> of data (that would have to be done by the caller to before calling
> sys_movedata()). The problem here is how to avoid data loss if someone writes
> to the file after userspace has copied the data and before sys_movedata() is
> called.

Isn't that true in any case?

> ssize_t sys_allocate(int fd, int mode, loff_t goal, ssize_t len)
> Allocate new space to file @fd at offset defined by file position. Both file
> offset and @len should be a multiple of filesystem block size. The whole
> interval must not contain any allocated blocks. If the interval extends past
> EOF, the file size is changed accordingly. @mode defines a way the filesystem
> will search for blocks. @mode is a bitwise OR of the following flags:
> ALLOC_FIXED_START - allocation must start at @goal; if not specified, @goal
> is just a hint where to start an allocation
> ALLOC_FIXED_LEN - allocate exactly space for @len; if not specified, upto
> @len bytes may be allocated.
> ALLOC_CONTINGUOUS - allocation must be one continguous run of blocks

How is this much different than sys_fallocate()?

> int sys_get_free_blocks(const char *fs, loff_t start, loff_t end, int count,
> struct alloc_extent *space)

One alternate possibility is to call the proposed FIEMAP on the block device,
to return lists of free/used extents? We have a version of that patch for
ext4 and integration into filefrag, so it would be nice to avoid making up
yet another API/tool if that one is sufficient.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
Principal Software Engineer

2007-09-05 14:05:00

by Jan Kara

On Tue 04-09-07 12:01:53, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> On Sep 03, 2007 20:03 +0200, Jan Kara wrote:
> > I've finally got to writing up some proposal how could look system calls
> > allowing for online filesystem defragmentation and generally moving file
> > blocks around for improving performance. Comments are welcome.
> >
> > int sys_movedata(int datafd, int spacefd, loff_t from, size_t len)
> > The call takes blocks used to carry data starting at offset @from of length
> > @len in @spacefd and places them instead of corresponding blocks in @datafd.
>
> Calling these "@spacefd" and "@datafd" is a bit confusing. How about "@srcfd"
> and "@tgtfd" instead? For defragmentation, are you planning to have @datafd
> be the "real" inode and "@spacefd" be the temporary inode with defragged data,
> or the reverse? It isn't really clear.
The idea behind the names was that you move data from @datafd into blocks
provided by @spacefd. Calling it @srcfd and @tgtfd has the problem whether
you mean source of data or source of blocks...

> > Data is copied from @datafd to newly spliced data blocks. If @spacefd contains
> > a hole in the specified interval, a hole is created also in @datafd in the
> > corresponding place. A data block from @spacefd and also replace a hole in
> > @datafd - zeros are copied to such data block. @from and @len should be
> > multiples of filesystem block size (otherwise EINVAL is returned). Data blocks
> > from @datafd in the interval are released, a hole is created in @spacefd.
>
> This is mostly clear except the last sentence. I would think that the data
> blocks in @datafd are kept, getting a copy of the data, while those in
> @spacefd are released?
Original blocks from @datafd are replaced by the blocks from @spacefd. So
I guess you've understood the purpose of the fd's the other way around :).

> > Another possibility would be to just replace data blocks without any copying
> > of data (that would have to be done by the caller to before calling
> > sys_movedata()). The problem here is how to avoid data loss if someone writes
> > to the file after userspace has copied the data and before sys_movedata() is
> > called.
> Isn't that true in any case?
No, I don't think so. The call should be completely safe. The idea is that
we lock the i_mutex before we start swapping data blocks and unlock it after
everything is done. Maybe we could even just change the mapping information
inside the buffer heads?

> > ssize_t sys_allocate(int fd, int mode, loff_t goal, ssize_t len)
> > Allocate new space to file @fd at offset defined by file position. Both file
> > offset and @len should be a multiple of filesystem block size. The whole
> > interval must not contain any allocated blocks. If the interval extends past
> > EOF, the file size is changed accordingly. @mode defines a way the filesystem
> > will search for blocks. @mode is a bitwise OR of the following flags:
> > ALLOC_FIXED_START - allocation must start at @goal; if not specified, @goal
> > is just a hint where to start an allocation
> > ALLOC_FIXED_LEN - allocate exactly space for @len; if not specified, upto
> > @len bytes may be allocated.
> > ALLOC_CONTINGUOUS - allocation must be one continguous run of blocks
>
> How is this much different than sys_fallocate()?
It's not much different. The point is we'd like to have a better control
of where and how the data is really allocated (for example to be able to
create a non-linear file layout). And that is impossible with fallocate
interface AFAIK...

> > int sys_get_free_blocks(const char *fs, loff_t start, loff_t end, int count,
> > struct alloc_extent *space)
>
> One alternate possibility is to call the proposed FIEMAP on the block device,
> to return lists of free/used extents? We have a version of that patch for
> ext4 and integration into filefrag, so it would be nice to avoid making up
> yet another API/tool if that one is sufficient.
Yes, that would be sufficient and looks like a good plan :). BTW: shouldn't
we make it a syscall rather than ioctl? IMHO it would look much cleaner.

Honza
--
Jan Kara <[email protected]>
SuSE CR Labs

2007-09-05 21:31:53

by Eric Anopolsky

On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 16:24 +0200, Jan Kara wrote:
> On Tue 04-09-07 12:01:53, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> > On Sep 03, 2007 20:03 +0200, Jan Kara wrote:
> > > I've finally got to writing up some proposal how could look system calls
> > > allowing for online filesystem defragmentation and generally moving file
> > > blocks around for improving performance. Comments are welcome.
> > >
> > > int sys_movedata(int datafd, int spacefd, loff_t from, size_t len)
> > > The call takes blocks used to carry data starting at offset @from of length
> > > @len in @spacefd and places them instead of corresponding blocks in @datafd.
> >
> > Calling these "@spacefd" and "@datafd" is a bit confusing. How about "@srcfd"
> > and "@tgtfd" instead? For defragmentation, are you planning to have @datafd
> > be the "real" inode and "@spacefd" be the temporary inode with defragged data,
> > or the reverse? It isn't really clear.
> The idea behind the names was that you move data from @datafd into blocks
> provided by @spacefd. Calling it @srcfd and @tgtfd has the problem whether
> you mean source of data or source of blocks...

FWIW, I think @srcfd and @tgtfd are clearer.

When I think about changing the block on the disk that's associated with
a block's worth of data in a file, I think about scooping the file data
out of the source block and setting it down in the destination block. I
do not think about pulling the on-disk block out from under the data and
replacing it with a different on-disk block.

Cheers,

Eric

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)