2008-07-28 01:52:05

by Eric Sandeen

Subject: Re: 64k Page size + ext3 errors

> I am using HW accelerated XOR engine for RAID-5 . I am seeing EXT3-fs
> errors when I use 64K page size. When I use 4K page size I don't see any
> issue. As many of you know, we?will get better performance when we store
> bigger files like videos.

Do you think it is specific to the filesystem on raid-5? Have you tested
w/o md? I'd be a little surprised if the problem is at the raid layer (so
cc'ing the ext3/4 list), but maybe you tested that already.

Which arch is it, and which kernel? How big is the filesystem? With full
geometry information it might be easier for someone to reproduce & debug.

Thanks,
-Eric

> When I copy 128MB size files using 64k page size no issues seen. When I
> tried to copy 1.8 GB file with 64KB page size support I am seeing the
> following errors. Any clue what could be wrong.
> ?
> Errors 1:
> EXT3-fs error (device md0): ext3_new_block: Allocating block in system
> zone - blocks from 65533, length 1
> EXT3-fs error (device md0): ext3_new_block: Allocating block in system
> zone - blocks from 65534, length 1
> ?
> ?
> Errors2:
> EXT3-fs error (device md0): ext3_readdir: bad entry in directory #2:
> rec_len % 4 != 0 - offset=0, inode=3040
>
> ?
> Thanks in Advance,
> Marri

2008-07-28 08:04:40

by Dan Williams

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 6:52 PM, <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I am using HW accelerated XOR engine for RAID-5 . I am seeing EXT3-fs
>> errors when I use 64K page size. When I use 4K page size I don't see any
>> issue. As many of you know, we will get better performance when we store
>> bigger files like videos.
>
> Do you think it is specific to the filesystem on raid-5? Have you tested
> w/o md? I'd be a little surprised if the problem is at the raid layer (so
> cc'ing the ext3/4 list), but maybe you tested that already.
>
> Which arch is it, and which kernel? How big is the filesystem? With full
> geometry information it might be easier for someone to reproduce & debug.

Marri, can you post your XOR driver the problem may be there.

Thanks,
Dan