2008-10-18 16:47:58

by Diego Calleja

Subject: GRUB support status?

What's the status of GRUB ext4 support? SVN says[1] that GRUB2 -which is
a development project with no stable version- has ext4 support, but the
only commit I could find[2] only seems to add extent support. Will that
be enought?

There's also a parallel GSoC project[3] from opensuse that seems to have
added[4] ext4 support to Grub (the Grub "legacy" versions which most of
the distros are using).

Which one is prefered? Or it's better to keep using ext3 on /boot until
grub support improves? (PD: I've modified the ext4 HOWTO wiki page adding
some information about all this)

[1]: http://svn.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/trunk/grub2/NEWS?root=grub&view=diff&r1=1794&r2=1795
[2]: http://svn.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc?view=rev&root=grub&revision=1699
[3]: http://code.google.com/soc/2008/suse/appinfo.html?csaid=91DC4C762E7EE6D7
[4]: http://code.google.com/p/grub4ext4/

2008-10-19 04:11:49

by Eric Sandeen

Subject: Re: GRUB support status?

Diego Calleja wrote:
> What's the status of GRUB ext4 support? SVN says[1] that GRUB2 -which is
> a development project with no stable version- has ext4 support, but the
> only commit I could find[2] only seems to add extent support. Will that
> be enought?
>
> There's also a parallel GSoC project[3] from opensuse that seems to have
> added[4] ext4 support to Grub (the Grub "legacy" versions which most of
> the distros are using).
>
> Which one is prefered? Or it's better to keep using ext3 on /boot until
> grub support improves? (PD: I've modified the ext4 HOWTO wiki page adding
> some information about all this)

For now I'd probably keep /boot on ext3.

Fedora will probably eventually merge the GSoC patch for our "legacy"
grub at some point, but TBH I've not even tested it yet, much less
looked over the patch ...

-Eric