2008-12-17 11:33:58

by Lars Täuber

Subject: tune2fs -o noatime /dev/sd_

Hallo developers!

I just would like to ask for a feature request for the ext[234] filesystems.
There are some usb-sticks used by me that are formated with ext2. All recent desktop enviroments let me mount them quiet easy but without the chance to tell them to mount it with the »noatime« option. But I liked them to be mounted with this option because of their flash characteristics.
It seems there is some space left for an EXT4_MOUNT_NOATIME option in ext4.h for all the ext[234] file systems.
What do you think about this?

Thanks
Lars

2008-12-19 10:01:08

by Lars Täuber

Subject: Re: tune2fs -o noatime /dev/sd_

Sorry for the noise.
Might have been a silly idea.

Happy Christmas to you.
Lars

Lars Täuber <[email protected]> schrieb:
> Hallo developers!
>
> I just would like to ask for a feature request for the ext[234] filesystems.
> There are some usb-sticks used by me that are formated with ext2. All recent desktop enviroments let me mount them quiet easy but without the chance to tell them to mount it with the »noatime« option. But I liked them to be mounted with this option because of their flash characteristics.
> It seems there is some space left for an EXT4_MOUNT_NOATIME option in ext4.h for all the ext[234] file systems.
> What do you think about this?
>
> Thanks
> Lars

2008-12-19 15:20:05

by Eric Sandeen

Lars Täuber wrote:
> Sorry for the noise.
> Might have been a silly idea.

It's not silly, I can see where this might be very useful; but noatime
is applied at the vfs level and not at the filesystem level, so putting
the flag in the filesystem superblock on disk and propagating that back
up to the vfs at mount time might require a bit of trickiness to get
right & do cleanly, I'm not sure. I'll give it some thought.

It may be simpler & quicker to just tell your auto-mount framework to
mount certain devices, or labels, or uuids, or $WHATEVER with noatime if
you can? Of course that configuration is local to a single machine, and
doesn't travel with the drive...

-Eric