2009-08-03 11:46:07

by ranjith kannikara

Subject: Help to read journal content

Hi,

We are doing a project to make an applicatio that can recover the
deleted data from an ext3 filesystem
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/recoverext3/>. We ahve used the tools
foremost and debugfs to debug the filesystem and read the journal.
Is there any way to read the journal?
Or How can we read the journal of a filesystem.
The inode number of the journal is present in the ext3_super_block
structure. But We are able to open the inode only with the help of
these tools.
Can someone guide us to where tio find the details of how a journal can be read.

Regards
Ranju.

2009-08-03 19:55:02

by Andreas Dilger

Subject: Re: Help to read journal content

On Aug 03, 2009 17:16 +0530, ranjith kannikara wrote:
> We are doing a project to make an applicatio that can recover the
> deleted data from an ext3 filesystem
> <http://sourceforge.net/projects/recoverext3/>. We ahve used the tools
> foremost and debugfs to debug the filesystem and read the journal.
> Is there any way to read the journal?
> Or How can we read the journal of a filesystem.
> The inode number of the journal is present in the ext3_super_block
> structure. But We are able to open the inode only with the help of
> these tools.
> Can someone guide us to where tio find the details of how a journal
> can be read.

Why create a new tool? There is ext3grep which already does a lot of
this work, and it would be much better to spend your time to improve
that tool instead of spending time developing a new tool that doesn't
do anything better than any existing one.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group