2003-04-23 13:36:47

by Paul Cunningham

Subject: Re Questions about NFS over TCP

> I've just started experimenting with NFS over TCP and have a few
> questions:
>
> The Linux NFS-HOWTO states that:
>
> > The disadvantage of using TCP is that it is not a stateless
> > protocol like UDP. If your server crashes in the middle of a
> > packet transmission, the client will hang and any shares will
> > need to be unmounted and remounted.
>
> I take this to mean that any client that is not actively accessing data
> on the server at the time of a crash will be OK after the server
> reboots?

I have not used nor tested Linux's NFS over TCP implementation. I have
spent lots of time developing and testing NFS over TCP for one of the
commercial UNIX flavors.

As a Linux advocate I truly hope this is not the case. It has been a couple
of
years but two mount options come to mind, hard and intr. hard: means do not
give up. You should be able to reboot the server, pull the ethernet cable
for a
month, or any other nasty thing you can thing of, right in the middle of a
read/write etc. When the server comes back on-line, the read/write or
whatever was happening at that point in time will continue. This could be a
serious problem except for the intr option. Some process is hanging around
waiting for the read/write to complete. The server is terminal
(decommissioned
and nobody told you). Send a signal and the process should return a EINTR.

Check the man pages
man mount
man nfs

Paul Cunningham