2007-04-23 23:14:01

by David Chinner

Subject: Re: review: don't block non-blocking writes when frozen

On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 10:27:15PM +0100, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 10:26:16AM +1000, David Chinner wrote:
> >
> > Prevent nfsds for blocking trying to write to a frozen filesystem
> > or a filesystem in the process of freezing.
>
> Looks good for trees actually having support for non-blocking file
> I/O, which doesn't include mainline. (So please don't send this
> upstead)

Yeah - you NACKed that a year ago based on the fact it would never
get used by mainline code:

http://marc.info/?l=linux-nfs&m=114683005119982&w=2

So, given the catch-22 you've just presented us can we revisit the
nfsd non-blocking I/O issue again? This affects anyone using DM
snapshots on their NFS servers and has nothing to do with HSMs
or DMAPI...

FWIW, you can still do non-blocking userspace I/O to a file, so this
XFS patch is still valid for mainline (that's how I tested it).

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner