2007-11-19 23:06:47

by Shiney James

Subject: [NFS] rpc.statd

Hi,

I would greatly appreciate if someone could help me regarding the following..

>From the manuals it is understood that rpc.statd can configured to
listen on a particular port for incoming request and a port for
outgoing request. This can be done by setting STATD_PORT and
STATD_OUTGOING_PORT. But even after setting these I find that there is
a port opened other than the above.

netstat -anop | grep rpc.statd output is pasted below.

[root@fs01 root]# netstat -anop | grep rpc.statd
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:48000 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN 4334/rpc.statd off (0.00/0/0)
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:48000 0.0.0.0:*
4334/rpc.statd off (0.00/0/0)
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:694 0.0.0.0:*
4334/rpc.statd off (0.00/0/0)
unix 2 [ ] DGRAM 5378 4334/rpc.statd

I have set STATD_PORT as 48000 as is seen. But I am not sure why port
694 is also being used?
Any idea?

Thanks
Shiney

Please note that [email protected] is being discontinued.
Please subscribe to [email protected] instead.
http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-nfs

2007-11-20 01:23:13

by Jeff Layton

Subject: Re: [NFS] rpc.statd

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 15:06:44 -0800
"Shiney James" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would greatly appreciate if someone could help me regarding the
> following..
>
> >From the manuals it is understood that rpc.statd can configured to
> listen on a particular port for incoming request and a port for
> outgoing request. This can be done by setting STATD_PORT and
> STATD_OUTGOING_PORT. But even after setting these I find that there is
> a port opened other than the above.
>
> netstat -anop | grep rpc.statd output is pasted below.
>
> [root@fs01 root]# netstat -anop | grep rpc.statd
> tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:48000 0.0.0.0:*
> LISTEN 4334/rpc.statd off (0.00/0/0)
> udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:48000 0.0.0.0:*
> 4334/rpc.statd off (0.00/0/0)
> udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:694 0.0.0.0:*
> 4334/rpc.statd off (0.00/0/0)
> unix 2 [ ] DGRAM 5378
> 4334/rpc.statd
>
> I have set STATD_PORT as 48000 as is seen. But I am not sure why port
> 694 is also being used?
> Any idea?
>
> Thanks
> Shiney

It's for statd to make downcalls to the local lockd. The kernel
requires a privileged port for that...

--
Jeff Layton <[email protected]>

Please note that [email protected] is being discontinued.
Please subscribe to [email protected] instead.
http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-nfs

2007-11-20 02:06:50

by Shiney James

Thanks a lot for the information. I would like to know if there is a
way to configure this port?
Can a port already specified in /etc/services be used for the purpose?

On Nov 19, 2007 5:23 PM, Jeff Layton <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 15:06:44 -0800
> "Shiney James" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would greatly appreciate if someone could help me regarding the
> > following..
> >
> > >From the manuals it is understood that rpc.statd can configured to
> > listen on a particular port for incoming request and a port for
> > outgoing request. This can be done by setting STATD_PORT and
> > STATD_OUTGOING_PORT. But even after setting these I find that there is
> > a port opened other than the above.
> >
> > netstat -anop | grep rpc.statd output is pasted below.
> >
> > [root@fs01 root]# netstat -anop | grep rpc.statd
> > tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:48000 0.0.0.0:*
> > LISTEN 4334/rpc.statd off (0.00/0/0)
> > udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:48000 0.0.0.0:*
> > 4334/rpc.statd off (0.00/0/0)
> > udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:694 0.0.0.0:*
> > 4334/rpc.statd off (0.00/0/0)
> > unix 2 [ ] DGRAM 5378
> > 4334/rpc.statd
> >
> > I have set STATD_PORT as 48000 as is seen. But I am not sure why port
> > 694 is also being used?
> > Any idea?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Shiney
> >

> It's for statd to make downcalls to the local lockd. The kernel
> requires a privileged port for that...
>
> --
> Jeff Layton <[email protected]>

Please note that [email protected] is being discontinued.
Please subscribe to [email protected] instead.
http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-nfs

2007-11-20 10:39:28

by Jeff Layton

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 18:06:53 -0800
"Shiney James" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Thanks a lot for the information. I would like to know if there is a
> way to configure this port?
> Can a port already specified in /etc/services be used for the purpose?

I don't think so. I think it just uses bindresvport to find the first
available port that's not designated for a service.
--
Jeff Layton <[email protected]>

Please note that [email protected] is being discontinued.
Please subscribe to [email protected] instead.
http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-nfs

2007-11-20 10:52:36

by NeilBrown

On Tuesday November 20, [email protected] wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 18:06:53 -0800
> "Shiney James" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Thanks a lot for the information. I would like to know if there is a
> > way to configure this port?
> > Can a port already specified in /etc/services be used for the purpose?
> >

> I don't think so. I think it just uses bindresvport to find the first
> available port that's not designated for a service.

I think "--outgoing-port" will do what you want.
I seem to recall that it uses the same port for all outgoing messages.

We really should fix the "statd" man page:

-o, --outgoing-port port
specify a port for rpc.statd to send outgoing status
requests from. By default, rpc.statd will ask portmap(8)
to assign it a port number. As of this writing, there is
not a standard port number that portmap always or usually
assigns. Specifying a port may be useful when implement$B!>(B
ing a firewall.

portmap(8) has no part at all in assigning port numbers...

NeilBrown