2007-11-21 13:11:09

by Kevin Coffman

Subject: Re: [NFS] libnfsidmap

On Nov 21, 2007 6:32 AM, Harshula <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 09:12 -0500, Kevin Coffman wrote:
> > On Nov 15, 2007 5:29 AM, Harshula <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > > In practise, what are the "other cases" where a failed
> > > nfs4_gss_princ_to_ids() lookup needs to be mapped to 'nobody'?
> >
> > You have cross-realm Kerberos trusts set up. A user from a different
> > Kerberos realm comes to your server and you have no local mapping for
> > that user.
>
> Can the KDCs be setup to handle this case?

If you are asking if the KDC can be configured to not give such users
a ticket, the answer is no. It is up to the application (NFS in this
case) to enforce authorization, Kerberos only does authentication.
(This may be another case for a configuration option. See below.)

> > A new local user is created, but has not yet been placed in the mappings.
>
> This case should fail.

My opinion is that they have successfully authenticated, and should
not be denied all access because there is no mapping. This should
probably be a configurable option.

K.C.