2009-02-18 17:33:57

by Kalle Valo

Subject: Mysterious IWLWIFI_SPECTRUM_MEASUREMENT config

I was doing my usual practise of recompiling my kernel and again I was
asked this question:

Enable Spectrum Measurement in iwlagn driver
(IWLWIFI_SPECTRUM_MEASUREMENT) [N/y/?] (NEW)

Ok, so I chose '?' and got this:

"This option will enable spectrum measurement for the iwlagn driver."

Not a very helpful message. I have few kind requests:

1) Please write a proper description for the option.

2) Recommend a proper default value: "If you don't have a clue what
this is, choose N".

3) Please consider even removing the option. Is it really needed?

--
Kalle Valo

2009-02-18 21:36:11

by Reinette Chatre

On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 09:33 -0800, Kalle Valo wrote:
> I was doing my usual practise of recompiling my kernel and again I was
> asked this question:
>
> Enable Spectrum Measurement in iwlagn driver
> (IWLWIFI_SPECTRUM_MEASUREMENT) [N/y/?] (NEW)
>
> Ok, so I chose '?' and got this:
>
> "This option will enable spectrum measurement for the iwlagn driver."
>
> Not a very helpful message. I have few kind requests:
>
> 1) Please write a proper description for the option.
Will do.

> 2) Recommend a proper default value: "If you don't have a clue what
> this is, choose N".

These are 802.11h measurements ... so typical users may not be
interested. We'll make this a default N.

> 3) Please consider even removing the option. Is it really needed?

Some users may want this information so we'll keep it as an option for
now.

Reinette

2009-02-19 05:37:34

by Kalle Valo

reinette chatre <[email protected]> writes:

> On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 09:33 -0800, Kalle Valo wrote:
>> I was doing my usual practise of recompiling my kernel and again I was
>> asked this question:
>>
>> Enable Spectrum Measurement in iwlagn driver
>> (IWLWIFI_SPECTRUM_MEASUREMENT) [N/y/?] (NEW)
>>
>> Ok, so I chose '?' and got this:
>>
>> "This option will enable spectrum measurement for the iwlagn driver."
>>
>> Not a very helpful message. I have few kind requests:
>>
>> 1) Please write a proper description for the option.
>
> Will do.

Thanks. You will make the life of the users easier.

>> 2) Recommend a proper default value: "If you don't have a clue what
>> this is, choose N".
>
> These are 802.11h measurements ... so typical users may not be
> interested. We'll make this a default N.

Good choice.

>> 3) Please consider even removing the option. Is it really needed?
>>

> Some users may want this information so we'll keep it as an option for
> now.

Not a problem when the option is properly documented, like you are
planning to do.

--
Kalle Valo