2009-09-30 11:04:32

by Reiner Schmidt

Subject: B43 Module on Compaq HP615 Laptop

Hello,
I am trying to install the newest compat-wireless package (from 30.09.2009)
onto this notebook. It has a Broadcom 4312 compatible WLAN device on it .
Its id is:14e4:4315.
I use s debian sidux distribution with an 2.6.29-4 liquorix-kernel.
Unfortunately I can currently use newer kernels on this notebook because it
wouldn't boot up. Tried several 2.6.30 and -31 kernels up too 2.6.31-1.

Compiling the package works so far but when loading the module b43 manually or
via /etc/modules it complains heavily about ssb-related issues.

> b43: disagrees about version of symbol ssb_device_is_enabled
> b43: Unknown symbol ssb_device_is_enabled
> b43: Unknown symbol ssb_pmu_set_ldo_paref
> b43: disagrees about version of symbol ssb_pcicore_dev_irqvecs_enable
> b43: Unknown symbol ssb_pcicore_dev_irqvecs_enable
> b43: disagrees about version of symbol ssb_bus_may_powerdown
> b43: Unknown symbol ssb_bus_may_powerdown
> b43: disagrees about version of symbol ssb_dma_free_consistent
> b43: Unknown symbol ssb_dma_free_consistent
> b43: disagrees about version of symbol ssb_bus_suspend
> b43: Unknown symbol ssb_bus_suspend
> b43: disagrees about version of symbol ssb_bus_unregister
> b43: Unknown symbol ssb_bus_unregister
> b43: disagrees about version of symbol ssb_bus_resume
> b43: Unknown symbol ssb_bus_resume
> b43: disagrees about version of symbol ssb_set_devtypedata
> b43: Unknown symbol ssb_set_devtypedata
> b43: disagrees about version of symbol ssb_device_disable
> b43: Unknown symbol ssb_device_disable
> b43: Unknown symbol ssb_pmu_set_ldo_voltage
> b43: disagrees about version of symbol ssb_dma_alloc_consistent
> b43: Unknown symbol ssb_dma_alloc_consistent
> b43: disagrees about version of symbol ssb_dma_set_mask
> b43: Unknown symbol ssb_dma_set_mask
> b43: disagrees about version of symbol ssb_device_enable
> b43: Unknown symbol ssb_device_enable
> b43: disagrees about version of symbol ssb_driver_unregister
> b43: Unknown symbol ssb_driver_unregister
> b43: disagrees about version of symbol __ssb_driver_register
> b43: Unknown symbol __ssb_driver_register
> b43: disagrees about version of symbol ssb_bus_pcmciabus_register
> b43: Unknown symbol ssb_bus_pcmciabus_register
> b43: disagrees about version of symbol ssb_bus_powerup
> b43: Unknown symbol ssb_bus_powerup
> b43: disagrees about version of symbol ssb_dma_translation
> b43: Unknown symbol ssb_dma_translation

Is this a real bug or do Ihave to submit additional prameter for the module
when I load it?
If so, where can I find those otions ?

Kind regards

Reiner Schmidt

2009-09-30 15:01:05

by Larry Finger

Subject: Re: B43 Module on Compaq HP615 Laptop

Reiner Schmidt wrote:
> Hello,
> I am trying to install the newest compat-wireless package (from 30.09.2009)
> onto this notebook. It has a Broadcom 4312 compatible WLAN device on it .
> Its id is:14e4:4315.
> I use s debian sidux distribution with an 2.6.29-4 liquorix-kernel.
> Unfortunately I can currently use newer kernels on this notebook because it
> wouldn't boot up. Tried several 2.6.30 and -31 kernels up too 2.6.31-1.
>
> Compiling the package works so far but when loading the module b43 manually or
> via /etc/modules it complains heavily about ssb-related issues.

Some distros include b44 and ssb in their initrd so that the box can
netboot. It is likely that yours is one of them. In this case, this
means that the wrong ssb is already loaded when you try to load b43.

The solution that Gabor gave you is correct; however if you rebuild
mkinitrd after building the compat modules, then it should work.

Larry

2009-09-30 11:18:40

by Gábor Stefanik

You need to unload the old ssb prior to loading b43 (which loads an
updated ssb).

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 1:04 PM, Reiner Schmidt <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello,
> I am trying to install the newest compat-wireless package (from 30.09.2009)
> onto this notebook. It has a Broadcom 4312 compatible ?WLAN device on it .
> Its id is:14e4:4315.
> I use s debian sidux distribution with an 2.6.29-4 liquorix-kernel.
> Unfortunately I can currently use newer kernels on this notebook because it
> wouldn't boot up. Tried several 2.6.30 and -31 kernels up too 2.6.31-1.

Please report any error messages it prints.