2012-01-26 18:48:46

by Larry Finger

Subject: Re: Question regarding Linux RTL driver

On 01/26/2012 11:37 AM, Nikola Gacic wrote:
> Hello Mr. Finger,
>
> I don't know if this is the right way for contacting you but I couldn't
> find the other way.
> Firstly, I want to say that I am student at School of electrical
> Engineering in Belgrade and I am working on some embedded project where I tried
> to use you RTL8187 Linux driver to communicate with PIC32 microcontroller over USB.
> I would appreciate any help with my problem. If you could spare some time
> to read this it would be great. I have several questions. Initialization worked
> fine I think (I get ACK packets), but when I try to finally send IN packet to
> endpoint 0x81 I get NAK packets all the time!
> I checked code in microcontroller several times and, of course, maybe error
> could be somewhere in initialization, but would that block my IN packets to
> device? I know that PIC32 cannot work in high-speed mode, only in full-speed,
> but in the datasheet for this dongle it says it can work in full-speed. So I
> want to know does USB card set its speed to full-speed automatically?
> I think my understanding of driver code is good so you can give me some
> general guidelines regarding initialization if you don't want to go to
> details.Thank you in advance.

Contacting me is OK, but all communication should also be Cc'd to the
linux-wireless mailing list.

Could you please give me some more details? Is this setup as an ad-hoc wireless
connection? I know that rtl8187 does not work in AP mode, but I'm not sure about
ad-hoc mode, and I am unable to test that at the moment.

Which device are you using - RTL8187L, or RTL8187B? The USB ID should tell that.

Yes, the device will work with USB1.1 hardware, and it might even work with
USB1.0, but I have never tested that.

Larry