2012-02-01 02:18:15

by Prashant Badsheshi

Subject: Regarding carl9170 wifi linux driver

Hi,

We are planning to use the below wifi dongle as station and AP.

https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/penguin-wireless-n-usb-adapter

We got the linux driver from the below path

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/linville/wireless-testing.git

We found the driver source in drivers/net/wireless/ath/carl9170.

Our Question:

Is the carl9170 driver present in the above folder is a complete open
source driver?

Or is it not complete driver and is there any NON-GPL code that is not
provided as an open source?

Please clarify it. Your immediate response would be really appreciated.

Also it would be great if there is any design document or programmer?s
document for the above mentioned Wifi dongle chipset available.

Regards,

Prashant

2012-02-01 13:17:45

by Christian Lamparter

Subject: Re: Regarding carl9170 wifi linux driver

On Wednesday, February 01, 2012 03:18:14 AM Prashant Badsheshi wrote:
> We are planning to use the below wifi dongle as station and AP.
> https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/penguin-wireless-n-usb-adapter
The chip AR9170 is getting on a bit. But ok.

> We got the linux driver from the below path
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/linville/wireless-testing.git
>
> We found the driver source in drivers/net/wireless/ath/carl9170.

A (compiled) firmware is available from:
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/carl9170

and the firmware source from:
https://github.com/chunkeey/carl9170fw

> Our Question:
>
> Is the carl9170 driver present in the above folder is a complete open
> source driver?
The driver and firmware are GPLv2 code.

> Also it would be great if there is any design document or programmer?s
> document for the above mentioned Wifi dongle chipset available.
Well, the original vendor firmware:
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/ar9170.fw
and the original vendor driver:
[ The most up-to-date version is available from the
kernel git. Just revert "staging: remove the Atheros otus vendor driver"
cff55f50b882b197a52c4cf0108a43c615d1fdba ]

For more [HW design docs, register file, etc...] you need to talk to
Qualcomm Atheros. But if there's an open issue/specific question I
would be glad to help as well [or forward the request].

Regards,
Chr

2012-02-01 03:13:21

by Larry Finger

On 01/31/2012 08:18 PM, Prashant Badsheshi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are planning to use the below wifi dongle as station and AP.
>
> https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/penguin-wireless-n-usb-adapter
>

> We got the linux driver from the below path
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/linville/wireless-testing.git
>

> We found the driver source in drivers/net/wireless/ath/carl9170.
>

> Our Question:
>
> Is the carl9170 driver present in the above folder is a complete open
> source driver?
>
> Or is it not complete driver and is there any NON-GPL code that is not
> provided as an open source?
>
> Please clarify it. Your immediate response would be really appreciated.
>

> Also it would be great if there is any design document or programmer?s
> document for the above mentioned Wifi dongle chipset available.

EVERYTHING in the Linux kernel in any one of the official trees, including
wireless-testing, is licensed under GPL.

Larry