2012-07-12 02:52:28

by Ouyang

Subject: problem with installing the kernel

I add something to the wireless-testing and then run:
> make modules
> make bzImage

it seems all fine. but could not go any further
# make modules_install
rm:invalid option -- '3'
Try 'rm -- help' for more information
make : *** [_modinst_] Error 1

Could anyone please help me with the situation?
The version of the linux is 3.4.4-3.fc17.x86_64 #1

2012-07-12 03:25:03

by Larry Finger

Subject: Re: problem with installing the kernel

On 07/11/2012 09:52 PM, Ouyang wrote:
> I add something to the wireless-testing and then run:
>> make modules
>> make bzImage
>
> it seems all fine. but could not go any further
> # make modules_install
> rm:invalid option -- '3'
> Try 'rm -- help' for more information
> make : *** [_modinst_] Error 1
>
> Could anyone please help me with the situation?
> The version of the linux is 3.4.4-3.fc17.x86_64 #1

Are you building the kernel as root? That is a terrible policy!!!

You should run "make" as a regular user, and follow that with "sudo make
modules_install install". If that fails, you need to ask about the problem at
Fedora. The standard kernel does the modules installation without any problems.

Larry