2013-05-17 08:54:50

by Felix Blanke

Subject: AR9227: Can't set master mode

Hi,

first: Please CC me as I'm not subscribed to the list.

I have the following wireless card: 04:02.0 Network controller:
Atheros Communications Inc. AR9227 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)

I can't set it to master mode, but this card should support it:

server ~ # iwconfig wlp4s2
wlp4s2 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID:off/any
Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=19 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:off
Power Management:off

server ~ # iwconfig wlp4s2 mode Master
Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
SET failed on device wlp4s2 ; Invalid argument.

My kernel config should be correct:

server linux # cat .config | grep ATH9K
CONFIG_ATH9K_HW=y
CONFIG_ATH9K_COMMON=y
# CONFIG_ATH9K_BTCOEX_SUPPORT is not set
CONFIG_ATH9K=y
CONFIG_ATH9K_PCI=y
# CONFIG_ATH9K_AHB is not set
# CONFIG_ATH9K_DEBUGFS is not set
CONFIG_ATH9K_RATE_CONTROL=y
# CONFIG_ATH9K_HTC is not set

server linux # cat .config | grep MAC80211
CONFIG_MAC80211=y
CONFIG_MAC80211_HAS_RC=y
CONFIG_MAC80211_RC_MINSTREL=y
CONFIG_MAC80211_RC_MINSTREL_HT=y
CONFIG_MAC80211_RC_DEFAULT_MINSTREL=y
CONFIG_MAC80211_RC_DEFAULT="minstrel_ht"
# CONFIG_MAC80211_MESH is not set
CONFIG_MAC80211_LEDS=y
# CONFIG_MAC80211_DEBUGFS is not set
# CONFIG_MAC80211_MESSAGE_TRACING is not set
# CONFIG_MAC80211_DEBUG_MENU is not set
# CONFIG_MAC80211_HWSIM is not set

I can scan for wireless networks and probably also connect to them
(never tested because this is not an use case for me).

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Felix

2013-05-17 09:39:38

by Thomas Klute

Subject: Re: AR9227: Can't set master mode

Am 17.05.2013 10:54, schrieb Felix Blanke:
> Hi,
>
> first: Please CC me as I'm not subscribed to the list.
>
> I have the following wireless card: 04:02.0 Network controller:
> Atheros Communications Inc. AR9227 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
>
> I can't set it to master mode, but this card should support it:
>
> server ~ # iwconfig wlp4s2
> wlp4s2 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID:off/any
> Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=19 dBm
> Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
> Encryption key:off
> Power Management:off
>
> server ~ # iwconfig wlp4s2 mode Master
> Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
> SET failed on device wlp4s2 ; Invalid argument.

You cannot set any card to master mode this way, you have to use hostapd
to set up the access point interface. The documentation at
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Documentation/hostapd should help. :-)

I'd also recommend using iw instead of iwconfig, see
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Documentation/iw

> My kernel config should be correct:
>
> server linux # cat .config | grep ATH9K
> CONFIG_ATH9K_HW=y
> CONFIG_ATH9K_COMMON=y
> # CONFIG_ATH9K_BTCOEX_SUPPORT is not set
> CONFIG_ATH9K=y
> CONFIG_ATH9K_PCI=y
> # CONFIG_ATH9K_AHB is not set
> # CONFIG_ATH9K_DEBUGFS is not set
> CONFIG_ATH9K_RATE_CONTROL=y
> # CONFIG_ATH9K_HTC is not set
>
> server linux # cat .config | grep MAC80211
> CONFIG_MAC80211=y
> CONFIG_MAC80211_HAS_RC=y
> CONFIG_MAC80211_RC_MINSTREL=y
> CONFIG_MAC80211_RC_MINSTREL_HT=y
> CONFIG_MAC80211_RC_DEFAULT_MINSTREL=y
> CONFIG_MAC80211_RC_DEFAULT="minstrel_ht"
> # CONFIG_MAC80211_MESH is not set
> CONFIG_MAC80211_LEDS=y
> # CONFIG_MAC80211_DEBUGFS is not set
> # CONFIG_MAC80211_MESSAGE_TRACING is not set
> # CONFIG_MAC80211_DEBUG_MENU is not set
> # CONFIG_MAC80211_HWSIM is not set
>

> I can scan for wireless networks and probably also connect to them
> (never tested because this is not an use case for me).
>
> Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
>
> Kind regards,
> Felix

by Felix Blanke

I knew about hostapd, but I wanted to test the master mode first. You
can still find a lot of tutorials that uses this command to set it to
master mode :( So those are all outdated?

I'll try messing around with hostapd. Thanks for your reply!