2015-03-12 08:28:41

by Arend van Spriel

Subject: Re: iw dev wlp1s0 scan hangs

On 03/11/15 23:21, German wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Mar 2015 22:17:38 +0100
> Arend van Spriel<[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On 03/11/15 22:00, German wrote:

>>> realtek RTL8723BE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter

>>> Polling FW ready fail! Firmware is not ready to run.
>>>
>>> Ok, so I need some sort of firmware? That's what I thought. What is this and where can I find it in kernel when I compile it? Thanks
>>
>> Not familiar with Realtek equipment but it might be provided by the
>> linux-firmware package so:
>>
>> $ sudo emerge --ask linux-firmware
>>

> Thanks Arend. This did the trick. I can now scan networks and I found mine. But how I actually connect to my network? I guess it is encrypted, but I have wpa_supplicant installed.

Gentoo does not seem to provide NetworkManager as a solution. I found
this page [1]. Maybe it helps.

Regards,
Arend

[1]
http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:Parts/Networking/Wireless#Wireless_tools

>> Regards,
>> Arend

2015-03-12 15:33:37

by Larry Finger

On 03/12/2015 03:28 AM, Arend van Spriel wrote:
> On 03/11/15 23:21, German wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 Mar 2015 22:17:38 +0100
>> Arend van Spriel<[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Not familiar with Realtek equipment but it might be provided by the
>>> linux-firmware package so:
>>>
>>> $ sudo emerge --ask linux-firmware
>>>

>> Thanks Arend. This did the trick. I can now scan networks and I found mine.
>> But how I actually connect to my network? I guess it is encrypted, but I have
>> wpa_supplicant installed.
>
> Gentoo does not seem to provide NetworkManager as a solution. I found this page
> [1]. Maybe it helps.

Arend,

Thanks for handling this problem for a user with Realtek equipment. Apparently,
this user does not know about "Reply-All", thus I only saw their answers to your
questions in the material you quoted.

Larry